Are we allowed to 301 redirect to a non-Squarespace external domain?

We're in the process of migrating one of our Squarespace sites to a non-Squarespace domain. The current site will be sunset over the course of a few months, but we want to accelerate the process by redirecting some site functions to the new site. We attempted to implement a 301 redirect in URL Mappings, but despite it being input correctly, it's not working, and we're getting no error message to indicate something's amiss.

I read from an external source that Squarespace doesn't allow 301 redirects to external domains not connected to/owned by Squarespace. Is this correct? Has anyone had problems redirecting to a non-Squarespace domain? Are we allowed to redirect?

And if we are allowed to redirect to non-Squarespace domains, what could we be doing wrong? The URL Mappings line is as follows:

/schedule-an-appointment -> https://[domainhere]/patient-resources/book-appointment/ 301

(Note: Domain omitted for confidentiality reasons)

Any information would be helpful, thank you.

• Replies 5
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, YakketyYak said:

Has anyone had problems redirecting to a non-Squarespace domain?

It's difficult to troubleshoot this for you without the domain information that you've omitted. However, you shouldn't experience any problems doing this if:

• the old page has been removed i.e. the /schedule-an-appointment page no longer exists on the site
  • the url for the new site begins with https and the site is using SSL.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

40 minutes ago, paul2009 said:
  • the old page has been removed i.e. the /schedule-an-appointment page no longer exists on the site

We could do that, but we want to be able to redirect specific functions while the old site is still active. In other words, per this example, we want it so that people visiting the old site and wanting to book an appointment would click on the link and be redirected to the new site. Is that possible?

Yes, but there must not be a page on your site with the url that you want to redirect. Only non-existent urls can be redirected. Does that make sense?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Hiya, I have the same issue as YakketyYak. I'm migrating from an existing URL to a new one and want to set up redirects over time to sunset the old site.

For a specific page I'm ranking highly on Google search which brings in ~150 visitors per month. I am redirecting from existing URL to a new external URL (both sites are built and hosted on squarespace). If I disable the original URL (so that the redirect can kick in) then I'll loose the Google search traffic, which is madness....

Archived