How to use Search Bar in an older template

Site URL: https://www.braidman.com/clients

I am currently re-designing our company website, using an ETHAN PASTERNAK template which was installed a few years ago (before I started working there). I am trying to include a Search Bar to filter out our clients' list below the search bar. However when I click 'Search Specific Page', no 'collections' (i.e. the gallery in that page) comes up and I cannot filter search what I want on this specific page. I have placed the Search Bar in the page, but not the Header or Footer as I was hoping to solely use the Search for this specific page. Please could someone advice on how I can fix this?

• Replies 4
  • Views 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This site is using a Brine family template, one of the newest templates on Squarespace 7.0, but the Search Block is the same regardless of the template.

When you check 'Search Specific Page' in the Search Block settings, it allows you to search the contents of a single Blog Page, Gallery Page or Products Page. You cannot search the contents of a "standard" Page like the /clients page. Your clients would need to be stored in a Gallery Page (not a Gallery Block) or a Blog Page to be searched in this way. If you uncheck 'Search Specific Page' you'll be able to search the /clients page but it will also return results for the rest of the site.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

48 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Thank you for your help - that's really handy to know. What would be the best type of page to use in order to re-create the layout I have done on the 'Standard' Page? Thanks very much! 

This site is using a Brine family template, one of the newest templates on Squarespace 7.0, but the Search Block is the same regardless of the template.

When you check 'Search Specific Page' in the Search Block settings, it allows you to search the contents of a single Blog Page, Gallery Page or Products Page. You cannot search the contents of a "standard" Page like the /clients page. Your clients would need to be stored in a Gallery Page (not a Gallery Block) or a Blog Page to be searched in this way. If you uncheck 'Search Specific Page' you'll be able to search the /clients page but it will also return results for the rest of the site.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

On 12/16/2020 at 5:08 PM, MBA_Assistant said:

Thank you for your help - that's really handy to know. What would be the best type of page to use in order to re-create the layout I have done on the 'Standard' Page?

As I mentioned, you can create an unlinked (hidden) Gallery page or Blog page, and add the clients to this - one client per image or one per post depending on which you use.

You can then create a standard page that visitors will see. On this page you'll add the Search Block (connected to the unlinked page above) and a Summary Block (also connected to the unlinked page above) to show the headshots. Note that a single Squarespace Summary Block can only display up to 30 items, which isn't ideal. This means you'd need to add a few of these, each showing a proportion of the 140+ headshots by using tags and filters (eg A-E, F-J, etc) to show them all. Better still, there's an excellent third party addon you can buy (Lazy Summaries) [no affiliation] that will "lazy load" all the items as the visitor scrolls down the page.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you @paul2009! Does this mean that I would need to create a Gallery / Blog Page per client? I have tried to include multiple images in one Gallery Page and it seems to have confused things? 

*Also in the Gallery Page, I am struggling to remove my first uploaded image from automatically placing it in the 'intro section'. I'm trying to delete this but am finding it impossible - please can you assist me with this also? 

Apologies for so many questions! 

Archived