Duplicate Existing Squarespace Website to New Squarespace Domain

Hello Forum,

I have an existing website with Squarespace and I just purchased an additional domain.  My intent is to have separate personal and professional domains / sites.

I want to copy my existing site as-is to the new domain and then redesign the existing site on the original domain.  The documentation is pretty clear on how to copy the site, but I think I'm missing a step somewhere to move the copied website to the new domain.  I'm sure it's out there and I'm missing it.  

I think I need to get the new domain on a paid plan, but I'm not sure of all of the steps to get the site copied without making a bunch of extra work by doing something out of order.  Anyone been through this before?

Appreciate the help!  

Dave

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Dave_Hersher said:

I think I'm missing a step somewhere to move the copied website to the new domain. I don't know if it complicates things, but the original domain is not registered with Squarespace.

If it helps, you'll move the domain to the website, not move the website to the domain 🙂. To do this you'll disconnect it from the old site, then connect it to the new one.

It doesn't complicate things when the domain is hosted elsewhere.

To disconnect the domain from the original website:

• Logon to the original website and navigate to Settings > Domains
  • Select the domain that you want to disconnect.
  • Click Disconnect Domain.
  • Click Yes to confirm. 

Once it has been disconnected, you can connect it to the new website:

• Logon to the new website and navigate to Settings > Domains
  • Click Use a Domain I Own.
  • Enter the domain name in the Domain Name field, then click Continue. If you see a message that says "This domain is already connected to another Squarespace site," then check the earlier steps were completed.
  • Click Connect From Provider
  • Select 1&1 (or your provider) from the drop-down menu, if it’s not already selected.
  • Click Connect Domain.
  • In the message that appears, click Okay.
  • When a pop-up window appears prompting you for your 1&1 credentials, follow the prompts to authenticate and complete the connection.

If these steps don't work, contact Squarespace Customer Care for more help.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you Paul.  I was able to get old domain connected to the new site with no problem.  When I try and connect the new domain to the old site, I'm getting the "This domain is already connected..."  I'll get w/Customer Care.

I appreciate your help getting me this far.  It was much easier to think about the domain connecting to the site than vise-versa.

Thanks again,

Dave

Archived