Clear Site Cache and/or prevent search engine indexing?

Site URL: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a511f2dbce1766935161573/t/5c8ebffc652dea660dd40b1d/1552859132660/Smela_Resume.pdf

Please forgive me if I sound like an absolute noob regarding this topic, but I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. I will do my best to explain my issue below, hopefully I use all the right descriptors:

Over 30 days ago, I deleted a page off of my squarespace website, which has a custom domain (www.timastorarch.com). I did this as part of an effort to revamp my website following a legal name change, so the main effort was to remove all references to my previous name (which I had been using professionally up until the time of deletion). There was content on the page I that deleted that included an embedded PDF, linking to my resume. 

The problem I am having is that if a search is done of my old legal name on Google, the 4th result is a direct link to the OLD embedded PDF, despite the fact that this content was deleted from my current squarespace domain. What I also noticed is that the embedded PDF does not even reference my personal domain, but rather is a static link associated directly to the squarespace.com domain (see URL string above). The issue this causes is that I cannot request this link to be removed from Google Search results, as it appears to Google that I am requesting removal of content for a URL I do not own. 

Does anyone know a) how to remove previous squarespace pages from Google search results OR b) if there is a way to clear a custom domain cache of previous page content OR c) if there is a way to prevent Google from Indexing certain content posted to squarespace webpages?

I hope this all makes sense, and would value any feedback! Thanks!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, tms0028 said:

The problem I am having is that if a search is done of my old legal name on Google, the 4th result is a direct link to the OLD embedded PDF, despite the fact that this content was deleted from my current squarespace domain.

When you remove a file from your site, it stays in Squarespace’s Content Delivery Network (CDN) as a static asset, linked to its URL. Although the deleted file isn't visible on your site, it is still stored in the CDN for a while, so if anyone has the direct link to it, they can still see it. 

The file should be deleted from the CDN eventually. It isn't possible to remove the file yourself, but Squarespace can do it for you. To request they delete a file, contact Squarespace Customer Care using the subject "Static URL Removal Request" and include the following information:

• Your domain name or built-in domain (you.squarespace.com).
  • The static URL(s) you’d like to remove from the CDN. 

Regarding search engines, they may display your static URL in search results for a period of time if they previously indexed it. With some search engines, like Google, you can request that they re-index your site to remove outdated entries from search results.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived