Where did the product item nav (prev/next) go?

Site URL: https://www.theraplant.com/

When I was first developing my site the standard prev/next prompts were displayed on each product page. I continued to customize the site & at some point realized they had disappeared. I'm having a difficult time finding out how to retrieve them. The product items style option for "Product Navigation" is set to "Both", so it should show both the breadcrumbs and the navigation, but alas, no prev/next anywhere on the site. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have some minimal CSS code on the site but it does not appear that it is causing this particular issue. 

Edited by jgouger

I have the same issue and went a little crazy before realising this is infact a Squarespace fault. I reported this Friday (21st) and it was sent to their engineers.
I left my details - not yet heard anything back. I have a few sites and it only effects the most recent one, it also happens if I start a new trial site. The prev/next pagination is hidden with no way of turning it back on. Really annoying as crucial feature in an online store.

I've experienced the same issue and extensively combed the html (view page source & expect element). The last time I worked on it was August 18th to get this function centered on the page in mobile - no problem there. Then I checked in on the page this week, August 24th and it's no longer there.

Please fix this.

• The last known location was here with the breadcrumbs <nav class="ProductItem-nav">
    • Thanks to @Pointer for trying out a new trial site with no change. I was going to try that next - you saved me a step to debunking this error.
  • Like @Melian I also have the Product Navigation set to both
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just about to pose this question as well.  This is a HUGE element for my site.   It was there when I was building my store, now it's gone.   I don't even see the 'both' option anymore.  It only shows 'Breadcrumbs' or 'none'.  There has to be a solution for this important feature.

HELP!

23 minutes ago, CarlaJ said:

I was just about to pose this question as well.  This is a HUGE element for my site.   It was there when I was building my store, now it's gone.   I don't even see the 'both' option anymore.  It only shows 'Breadcrumbs' or 'none'.  There has to be a solution for this important feature.

HELP!

Can you share link to product page? We can check easier.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to have arrows on my product pages to go between my different products. Right now if I need to look through all my products I have to click the first one, look for whatever information I want, then go back in my browser and click on the next product. I want to be in a product page and just have like "previous product" and "next product" options. I feel like my customers would benefit from this as well since it makes it easier to browse quickly through all of our products. I also feel like there were arrows that did this when I first created my site, and they've maybe disappeared, but I could be remembering wrong. Is there any way to add these in? Thank you!

Edited by Locomotive
  • 2 weeks later...

Although this post won't fix the issue for you, it may be helpful to know why this has changed, even though it cannot be restored.

In this case, product pagination was removed from Squarespace 7.1 when the store product limit was increased from 200 to 10,000 products and the concept of nested categories was introduced, meaning that there is no longer a concept of next or previous like there once was. 

Although it won't help anyone who has already built a 7.1 store, if you are building a small store, the pagination still exists on Brine 7.0 stores where the product limit is still 200.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:48 PM, jaisequoia said:

Can you provide a css remedy to this issue?

This cannot be fixed with CSS, but if a store were fairly small, some JavaScript could be written to add pagination links to products on 7.1, but it would only be able to follow the default product order (as they were added, before they were reordered) and would only apply to the 'All Products' view. It would not work within a category.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, paul2009 said:

Although this post won't fix the issue for you, it may be helpful to know why this has changed, even though it cannot be restored.

In this case, product pagination was removed from Squarespace 7.1 when the store product limit was increased from 200 to 10,000 products. The code that produced the pagination links would need to iterate through the entire inventory to create the links. This was fine for less than 200 products in a flat category structure, but was likely to cause serious performance issues for 10,0000 products in nested categories. Sometimes the choices are difficult, but this was probably the right decision at the time.

Although it won't help anyone who has already built a 7.1 store, if you are building a small store, the pagination still exists on Brine 7.0 stores where the product limit is still 200.

This cannot be fixed with CSS, but if a store were fairly small, some JavaScript could probably be written to add pagination links to products on 7.1. However, there would be some restrictions. It would only be able to follow the default product order (as they appear on the 'all' product list page and would require products to be indexed manually after any changes were made to the inventory (adding or removing products).

Thanks so much @paul2009 This was a thorough explanation. Already building in 7.1 so I guess we'll just have to let it go. 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, paul2009 said:

In this case, product pagination was removed from Squarespace 7.1 when the store product limit was increased from 200 to 10,000 products. The code that produced the pagination links would need to iterate through the entire inventory to create the links. This was fine for less than 200 products in a flat category structure, but was likely to cause serious performance issues for 10,0000 products in nested categories. Sometimes the choices are difficult, but this was probably the right decision at the time.

This cannot be fixed with CSS, but if a store were fairly small, some JavaScript could probably be written to add pagination links to products on 7.1. However, there would be some restrictions. It would only be able to follow the default product order (as they appear on the 'all' product list page and would require products to be indexed manually after any changes were made to the inventory (adding or removing products).

Thanks so much @paul2009 This was a thorough explanation. Already building in 7.1 so I guess we'll just have to let it go. 

**UPDATE** actually I just discovered that when in QUICK VIEW on a shop page there are forward/back arrows to the far left and right of the window to allow one to move through products that way. Interesting!

• 3 months later...
Guest madebydave

Hi @creedon I think the question is based on a single product page. This functionality exists in 7.0 but appears to have been removed in 7.1. Any ideas on how to add this functionality back in?

Thanks

@madebydave

My response was to elijah_aaron who said the following.

store items page.

Which to me means the product grid page as opposed the product detail page.

As to nav on product details page I think @paul2009 has the explanation for why they are gone and the only way they could be restored.

There is no easy SS way or simple CSS or Javascript fix.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 months later...

Do cars exploding upon impact after driving off a cliff make a sound if no one at Squarespace is around to hear them? This metaphorical/philosophical conundrum stands at the heart of the problem here. Bear with me, if you will... 

I've had an ongoing dialog with Squarespace support about this issue. They liken the removal of pagination to road construction - sometimes disruption happens in order to improve the system. That's all well and good, but road construction generally leaves behind a new road when completed. Squarespace's approach to road construction here is like tearing out a bridge, walking away, and patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Meanwhile cars are driving off a cliff into a dark abyss and exploding on impact.

I had put months of work into building a new 7.1 site and spent a bundle on design work from a professional graphic designer. The removal of pagination instantly put me out of business. How? I'm a professional artist/photographer who sells work online. I'm dependent on viewers being able to move from one photograph to the next within a portfolio while having that portfolio integrated into a commerce engine. The removal of pagination instantly made each photograph a dead end road (to keep the road work analogy going). I suspect I'm not the only artist or craftsperson who wants to sell their work AND have viewers be able to move between items for sale. The 7.1 platform now offers the option of either selling your work OR showing work as part of a portfolio (via a Gallery or Portfolio) but not both. Pagination allowed both at once. This is a serious downgrade.

In terms of when pagination might be added back to 7.1, I was given a timeline that can only be described as "maybe to never." How am I supposed to plan around that?

If this doesn't bother you, consider this in the broader framework... Squarespace has shown that they can and will remove critical functionality without prior feedback or warning. In an instant, you can be functionally out of business without recourse. In this case, pagination had been part of the commerce system for literally years in the 7.0 system and was carried straight through to 7.1. There was no reason to expect this functionality to be removed. Squarespace sold me on moving from my old 7.0 site to building a new 7.1 site based in part on pagination as core functionality of the 7.1 commerce engine. 

If the idea of being put functionally out of business overnight troubles you, please create a support incident with Squarespace and raise the issue. You can cut and paste what I've written here if it makes it easier. Only if enough people complain will they pay attention. I'm fighting this battle and losing. I just had to resurrect my old expired 7.0 site just to have this functionality again. I now have to start all over again. Please help Squarespace hear the cars exploding at the bottom of the canyon.

Edited by dhobman

By the way folks sf.digital has an upcoming extension to implement prev/next navigation on products. Please see Product UX extension.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...