Moving Photo Database to SquareSpace

Site URL: http://www.nearlovingsbend.net

Hello,

I have been hired by my local historical society for a web project to update a database of 20,000+ historical photographs.

The current site was designed using CoffeeCup, and it looks like there’s a good bulk of content hosted via GoDaddy as well. The photos are uploaded to galleries using SmugMug.

The current aesthetic of the site is terrible to say the least, but the search function works well. For example, I can search last names, nouns, street names etc. and this kind of functionality is integral to the society’s mission. I’m wanting to know if this functionality can be brought over to SS. I plan to keep the photos hosted through SmugMug because I think it would be too big of a chore to try and port them over (unless someone knows of a workaround of course.)

I’m planning to use external links for the photo database and then use pages for Home, About Us, Membership, Contact, FAQ etc.

Is it possible for me to have a search function on my site that would work the way the current website does?

Thanks in advance for your input and know how!

Thanks,

Jameson

• Replies 2
  • Views 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OMA

What a great project!

Having worked with artists, galleries, museums, and educators for over 20 years, this is the kind of site that is so valuable and exciting. Having once built a full database just like yours, I know first-hand what a huge labor of love this is.

1. Here's the link re: smugmug and ss 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205814148-Connecting-SmugMug-to-Squarespace

2. Yes, you can create a searchable system like this on Squarespace with similar functionality using the Blog feature. It will allow you to create Categories and Tags which have site-wide integration and searchability. The problem is going to be time. Take a deep breath... and... exhale.

3. Squarespace will let you style better and also import images into 200-item galleries, so you have can have slideshows and other products and info linked to the images you do select to import. Think "Featured Images" or "Highlights from the Archive." Some of these may end up becoming products for a store you may develop and help fund your project.

Let me know if you have any other questions - it's going to be great! 

With ❤️, from Andrew @ SQSDesign
Need help building and maintaining your website?

That's all we do: custom blocks, fully-styled templates, product management, POD fulfillment, and more.
Reach out anytime, 24/7/365: 
📱
(628) SQS-DSGN • ✉️ Email • 👀 Instagram • 🚀 RocketSurgery Blog •  🔲 @SQSDesign

A very important note about using SM with SS. From the SS docs.

This information applies to version 7.0.
Sites on version 7.1 can't connect to
SmugMug because they use gallery sections
instead of Gallery Pages.

Brine is a good template to choose for a v7.0 site. Assuming you like the look of one of the Brine family templates.

I suggest you do some experiments with a few images to make sure the searching and such will work for your needs.

Please keep us in the loop. Sounds like an interesting project.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Archived