How to add text to a product page

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As best as I can tell, you cannot add any content to a "Store" page, and I find this extremely aggravating. My store has categories where I want to add content for each category - can't do it as far as I can tell.

So, here's what I've done instead (Cheshire Garden (squarespace.com) Password "barley") DIsabled the main shop page Created a new page that is a "gallery" of the categories. Each image links to an unlinked page - this is now like your "merch" page. I put the content I want on this page, followed by a Summary block filtered on the products in that category. Each category page has a Back button that goes to the main shop page and product pages have a Back button taking them to the category page.

This is a lot of work and I don't understand why Squarespace has assumed that everyone just wants a big list of products with no group content.

I'm having a similar problem, which is now made worse by my workaround. I have a commerce page. It's not enough to simply have lines of items with no details and no other way of organizing them. So I made a separate page for curbside pickup with the gallery set up and extra information, products grouped logically by type and a flip through carousel to see the options. Easy browsing.

HOWEVER!!!! When you click any item item, there's a link to go back to the "store." But it takes you to the terrible commerce page. I tried to redirect the link to the new store page, but that only works if the original page is disabled. I can't disable the commerce page because that's where all the items on the new page are listed and linked from. So the new page with the sensical organization of items is used once and then you are brought right back to the old page. All that work around to fix the commerce page and now I can't just get rid of the link! 

I don't know how to make this work.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:05 AM, TheUrbanProfit said:

I would like to have shipping, return, and etc. verbiage featured.

I don't know anything about 7.1, but in 7.0 the hack that I use to display common info in our product details is to create a dummy product that can be embedded in the "Additional Info" field of other products. Here's a proof of concept (password 'tada'). Everything below the 'Add to Cart' button for these products is text from this product's short description field, which can contain links and formatting. But not blocks, unfortunately. However, we've found it to be good enough for things like shipping and return info. (Examples here.) And although it's limited, you don't have to write Javascript to produce it.

10 hours ago, jjcp said:

When you click any item item, there's a link to go back to the "store." But it takes you to the terrible commerce page.

In 7.0 there's a Site Styles setting to hide category navigation on product detail pages. That keeps the product detail page from showing any links that go to the terrible product collection page. Perhaps there is something similar in 7.1?

22 hours ago, jjcp said:

When you click any item item, there's a link to go back to the "store." But it takes you to the terrible commerce page.

On re-reading my notes I see there's also a "Show Product Item Nav" toggle in Site Styles, and that is what will hide the "Back" link on the product detail page. In 7.0, at any rate.

1 hour ago, LKW said:

On re-reading my notes I see there's also a "Show Product Item Nav" toggle in Site Styles, and that is what will hide the "Back" link on the product detail page. In 7.0, at any rate.

Hmmm. I'm using 7.0 and the only option under products is whether to Show Category Navigation or not. Turning the Cat Nav off doesn't seem to affect navigation as it's set up on either page. 

14 minutes ago, jjcp said:

Hmmm. I'm using 7.0 and the only option under products is whether to Show Category Navigation or not. Turning the Cat Nav off doesn't seem to affect navigation as it's set up on either page. 

Did you open a product detail page before going to Site Styles? Here's what I see.

SqsNavToggles.png

3 minutes ago, LKW said:

Did you open a product detail page before going to Site Styles? Here's what I see.

Unclicking product navigation doesn't seem to change anything on the product page. The category navigation gets rid of all the categories, but it looks like I need to hide the meta info in the main content. The forward and backward links are fine to look at other products in the category, but the "back" link takes you to the commerce page, and not my reorganized store page. I'm not a code person at all, so i don't know how to change the code injection to hide this text or, preferably, change the link to the reorganized store page.

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, CheshireGarden said:

See my first reply above to see how I handled this. It seems to work well for me.

Oh man, your site makes my mouth water!

So, I think your site is 7.1, yes? I am 7.1-curious: How many products can you have in a 7.1 summary block?

In 7.0, the limit is 30. We struggled setting up our recent campaign because, like you, we needed to have a title and introductory text on our landing page with all our product thumbnails. Therefore the default product/store page would not work. So we set up a page with summary blocks to display our thumbnails.  With 145 products, we had to categorize our products with five artificial categories and put up five summary blocks on our landing page. Talk about a lot of work! And there is no simple way to configure all five blocks to have the same properties. E.g., the morning we went live I had to edit 5 different summary blocks to unhide prices.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, CheshireGarden said:

See my first reply above to see how I handled this. It seems to work well for me.

That seems like it would work, except when i disable the commerce store, none of the items are available anymore. I have the commerce site unlinked, and all links and back buttons take you to the unlinked commerce page, which is just a bunch of unorganized stuff. I don't know why this is so difficult. I'm not a code person, and we chose Squarespace so us regular folk can manage it without too much heartburn.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:28 PM, LKW said:

Oh man, your site makes my mouth water!

So, I think your site is 7.1, yes? I am 7.1-curious: How many products can you have in a 7.1 summary block?

In 7.0, the limit is 30. We struggled setting up our recent campaign because, like you, we needed to have a title and introductory text on our landing page with all our product thumbnails. Therefore the default product/store page would not work. So we set up a page with summary blocks to display our thumbnails.  With 145 products, we had to categorize our products with five artificial categories and put up five summary blocks on our landing page. Talk about a lot of work! And there is no simple way to configure all five blocks to have the same properties. E.g., the morning we went live I had to edit 5 different summary blocks to unhide prices.

That's pretty much what I did. But I still don't know how to get rid of our re-route that pesky link back to the hidden commerce page!! I'm trying to watch coding videos now to try and decipher where on the product pages I can change that without breaking everything.

Thank you both for the feedback--I appreciate the help.

Ok - first, I apologize for leading people down a dead-end. Indeed, as @jjcp says, if you do it the way I suggested, the product pages are not accessible. This is because they belong to the disabled Store page.

I spent some time on chat with SQ support and found out how to do it instead. It involves doing something I never knew was possible (and didn't see mentioned in the help articles) - multiple Store pages.

What I did was to create a new Store page (not a Category) for each of my product categories (Preserves, Mustards, etc.) There I could add blocks with my content. I then added products from that category to its own page. Another advantage of this is that the navigation now shows the correct "store" page when viewing that category or products in that category.

I kept the "Shop" page I mentioned earlier, that now links to the new Store pages. See https://lobster-clover-mbgd.squarespace.com/ password barley (if you're viewing this in 2021, look for https://cheshiregarden.com/)

5 minutes ago, CheshireGarden said:

Ok - first, I apologize for leading people down a dead-end. Indeed, as @jjcp says, if you do it the way I suggested, the product pages are not accessible. This is because they belong to the disabled Store page.

I spent some time on chat with SQ support and found out how to do it instead. It involves doing something I never knew was possible (and didn't see mentioned in the help articles) - multiple Store pages.

What I did was to create a new Store page (not a Category) for each of my product categories (Preserves, Mustards, etc.) There I could add blocks with my content. I then added products from that category to its own page. Another advantage of this is that the navigation now shows the correct "store" page when viewing that category or products in that category.

I kept the "Shop" page I mentioned earlier, that now links to the new Store pages. See https://lobster-clover-mbgd.squarespace.com/ password barley (if you're viewing this in 2021, look for https://cheshiregarden.com/)

Wow!! They're adding to the cart! Congratulations and nice work!!!

Unfortunately, our store is a small portion of our website, so having the store contained to a single page is going to be the only way, unless all the links to the store pages can be managed in one location . . . I'm still here just wishing i could add a text box to the commerce page. I'd settle for that. 

I don't see why you can't do what you want. The major issue is that you can't add blocks to the default Store page, but you can create your own with any of the content you want. You'll have to remove all your existing products and then delete the existing "merch" page. Now create a new page and select Store (not Category). There are two layouts you can choose from, but all of the blocks can be removed and you can add new ones with the content you want. Now add your products to this page.

Archived