Getting Drop-down from 'Blog' in site header?

Hi there,

I want to add a drop down to the primary header menu for 'Blog' by category. The other header categories can do this via folders but is it possible to do the same on the primary menu, as opposed to inside the blog page via an archive block?

I suppose alternatively I could create a page called 'Blog' in the primary navigation and within that page have a folder, which contains various pages each of which is a blog category page, and have the primary page directed to an unlinked blog, but this is both a lot of work re-arranging and also seems to defeat the point of the blog feature...

Am I missing something?

Any help much appreciated. 

Thanks

Gregg

• Replies 4
  • Views 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming that if I was to copy the CSS that lets the other folders show drop-down menus and apply that to the blog menu it could then in theory do this, but would I need to re-write all the code to create a new class as you cannot nest categories inside blog on the menu?

Using some of the various available mega menu code that is out there, might let it work but I think there would be problems with the positioning and so it would be quite obvious that it wasn't a drop-down the same as all the others?

anybody out there managed to do this? I am surprised that it isn't a built in feature - it is in wordpress and many others....

• 2 weeks later...

No I haven't as yet, I am learning CSS & HTML and think there must be a relatively easy (if you know how, but I'm not there yet - although I am getting there) way to look at the class of the Blog post in the html and CSS and alter it so it follows the same rules for the drop-downs for the other headers.

I think this may lose functionality though as clearly the blog class has been designed to have the functionality that it has - as such I wonder if it  can be forced to drop down using the same style requirements of the others if not the same class rules... 

I wanted to do this on a client's website as they asked for it but haven't been able to sort it out as yet. Therefore I am currently building

a site so I can play around in it unpublished to see if I can get it to do what I want.....

So I have resolved this:

I have created a folder in the primary/secondary navigation.

Labelled in as 'BLOG'

Then added the blog itself into the folder as the first item. I also relabelled the display title on the blog as 'ALL'

Then added links to the folder, which are linked to the various categories in the blog.

Archived