Archive block disappearing and reappearing for no reason

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.compas.org/artists

Hello,

We're an arts education provider and use our web store as a catalog of hirable artists. We use an archive block at the top of the page to allow users to sort the "products" by category, but in the last 24 hours, we've had some weird issues with the archive block. On the backend editor, the block will sometimes show up as completely empty (see attached image), and on the front end, it will disappear completely. I was unable to get a screen capture of what the page looks like when the archive block is missing, but I've attached an image of what it should look like. Is this a known issue? Anything we can do about this?

Thank you!

websitefrontend_archive.JPG

websitebackend_archive.JPG

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am having the same issue. It occurred today (3April21). Everything was working well for the past year. I have one Archive Block for filtering Categories and second one for filtering Tags for my products.

Archive Block with Tags is still working properly, while Archive Block with Categories just stopped recognizing product Categories, showing the message "This blog has no content yet...". Please see the attached image. I am trying to work something out to fix this but no luck so far.

I didn't touch the Archive Block or make any changes that could caused this issue. What could possibly happen and have you managed to fix this anyhow?

Thank you!

categories.PNG

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue as well. I contacted tech support, and after stripping out some custom css at their behest, and waiting until they said they's fixed it, it started happening again. I changed templates, and it still happens. The only thing that makes it work is to log in to the website, and change the display of the archive contents. Then when it happens again, change it back to what it was before!

This is a real pain, and happens with or without custom css.

Has anyone found a solution please?

Thanks.

Terry

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I contacted support as the blog archive continued to be rendering blank on every browser I tried. Occasionally the content would appear, but then would disappear again. It appears they were able to resolve the issue for me by initiating a re-index of the site and "zapping" the cache, whatever that means. They said this ensures the most up to date information is displayed on the site. 

I thanked them and asked them how I can re-index the site myself if this happens again.  I was told "these particular settings are only available to do on our end" and that I would need to reach out to them if I experience the issue again. 

So if you experience this issue again, ask support to re-index your site and clear the cache.

• 4 months later...

Is anyone else still having a problem with archive blocks not functioning? Pretty much all of the archive blocks on my site are not working. Squarespace Customer "Care" told me " I can confirm this is related to an issue with archive blocks on our end. We’ve reported this to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue." but this has been an issue for many months. 

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue and have you found any workarounds?

Edited by Conejo Joe
  • Solution
On 2/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, Conejo Joe said:

Is anyone else still experience this issue?

Yes, this is a known issue with Archive Blocks. They have been regularly "disconnecting" and showing no content on Squarespace websites since November 2020. Engineering are aware of the issue but have not yet fixed it (as of July 2023).

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Two years later and still an issue. Here's the latest response from Squarespace Support. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Archive blocks: 

We’re currently investigating an issue with archive blocks periodically disconnecting if it is pulling a large amount of content—thanks for reporting this to us. Our Engineering teams are prioritizing a fix for this as we speak.

For now, try reconnecting the archive block to the page. You may also want to try deleting and re-adding the affected archive blocks. To be clear, this is a temporary workaround, rather than a permanent fix for the issue.

There are many variables that we test against before we release a fix, so we can’t provide an exact timeframe for a resolution. We can’t always follow up personally when a fix is released due to the volume of reports we receive for this issue.

Site search: 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing trouble with your site search as well. I'm afraid this is also an issue on our end with site search not yielding results consistently. Our Engineers are also working toward a fix here. 

• 1 month later...

Recently I added an archive block to a public page. The block periodically stops displaying anything at all. When I "touch" the page by going into the editor, it seems to make the archive block work again. I cannot figure out why it is going in and out of service. The page is  https://www.thetechnologyletter.com/archive

The attached two screen shots show that sometimes, the block in edit is displaying as empty of content, but if I edit the block, by again picking the linked page, the block fills up with content, as in the second image. So, the real question is why the block is losing track of the linked page. This seems to happen daily, as far as I can tell. 

Archive block layout 2.jpg

Archive block layout.jpg

4 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

There is a bit of a bug in the block that sometimes shows up, content is not visible in edit mode. It has happened to me as well, seems not to affect the block as seen by a visitor, however. I changed my block to a dropdown containing subjects instead of an index, and have not had the issue in a long time. 

Thanks for weighing in, Derrick. In my case, the bug is actually visible on the public page. Periodically, it just displays nothing on the published page. 

On 3/1/2023 at 5:44 AM, Tiernan said:

Recently I added an archive block to a public page. The block periodically stops displaying anything at all.

As I posted above, this is a frustrating but known problem that does affect the live site, preventing visitors from seeing content. Squarespace engineering teams are aware of but feel free to report it again through Customer Care.  

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

5 hours ago, paul2009 said:

As I posted above, this is a frustrating but known problem that does affect the live site, preventing visitors from seeing content. Squarespace engineering teams are aware of but feel free to report it again through Customer Care.  

Thank you for weighing in, Paul. I have submitted a ticket as you suggested. I cannot believe the fact that a basic component of site doesn't not functioning is not considered an urgent issue by the company. The fact they would let this go unaddressed is astoundingly bad management on the part of this company. I'll be looking for places to move my site. I've had it with this company. 

• 4 months later...

Is anyone else having trouble with the Archive block not connecting + pulling the content it used to? It was working to grab the categories of blog posts but now it says there's no content. This has happened to 2 of my clients today.

I tried to delete and re-add but that didn't work either.

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 2.00.20 PM.png

1 hour ago, jdunc said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the Archive block not connecting + pulling the content it used to?

As I mentioned in my post above, this is a known issue.