Add a product add-on (at extra cost) at checkout

Hi, I am looking to add a button or option to the checkout, where customers can add a gift bag for an extra cost to their cart. I've been experimenting and decided that using the variant option is not ideal as it causes an error message, which could put off customers from buying. Instead I would like to let customers choose at checkout whether they would like the product to be sent to them with a gift bag. Any ideas (including coding as it seems there is not squarespace solution for this at the moment) would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, anakarivvg said:

I am looking to add a button or option to the checkout, where customers can add a gift bag for an extra cost

There may be some options that we can suggest, but you will not be able to do this on the checkout page unless the gift bag is a no-cost option. This is because the checkout page is locked down to prevent changes.

Can you provide some more details, including a working link to the site? Note that if your site isn't live, we will only be able to view it if you set a site password and tell us what it is.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 hours ago, anakarivvg said:

I've been experimenting and decided that using the variant option is not ideal as it causes an error message, which could put off customers from buying.

Here's an example product with a variant called Gift Bag.

gift-bag-variant-options.thumb.png.a994c123d78fef5497940aa4e78dad53.png

When our Variant Pricing extension is installed, customers won't see an error if they add the item to the cart without selecting the gift bag option.

The first option is 'No Gift Bag' and is silently selected by default for the user. If they click Add to Cart without touching the variant dropdown, the no gift bag option will be selected for them automatically. If they want the gift bag, they can choose this option before adding it to the cart. 

The screen capture below shows a user adding the item to their cart without selecting a variant . They then add the item again, but this time they select gift bag first.

variant-preselection-gift-bag.thumb.gif.a3b244ece2d6004fde1d35d816eef5d1.gif

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Paul

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...

I came up with a solution!!! Not as good as a pop up, but will work for now. 

This works on the product page,  you do have to add it to every page, but you could use filters and customize per product if you want. Not perfect, but it works pretty well. 

I created all the add ons as products. They are all in a collection. 

In the "additional information" section, I used a summary block and chose the collection. I used a grid option and reduced the size and spacing. I added quick view which made it simple for them to use as an add on! (can show price, I didn't).

https://www.gatherprovisions.com/gather/p/classic-provisions

Edited by jessone
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@paul2009 I purchased the Variant Pricing extension that you mentioned above and have tried installing it to my clients site. She runs a custom embroidery business and needs to charge an extra $20 for a logo setup fee if it is their first order with her. When installing the extension though, it is adding $20 per item if they are ordering 5 shirts, so instead of it being $35 x 5 shirts + $20 fee it is $55 x 5 shirts. I can't seem it figure out how to install the extension the way I am needing it. Are you able to help at all?
Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, IndiahSaunders said:

I can't seem it figure out how to install the extension the way I am needing it.

Hi Indiah. We had a private chat about your requirements, and I believe you need some custom code to achieve your requirements that is very similar to this post. I'll post something to you when I get a few minutes.

Did I help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 2 months later...

@paul2009I own a custom card business. I need a way to create a place where clients can enter what they want customized on a envelope. Its 5 dollars extra if I do this and I need to be able to charge the extra money. so I am wondering if it is possible to add a section to write something and still charge money for it

10 hours ago, Posie said:

I own a custom card business. I need a way to create a place where clients can enter what they want customized on a envelope.

Are you selling them on another platform at the moment such as Etsy? If so, can you provide a link so that I can take a look?

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 7:58 PM, jessone said:

I came up with a solution!!! Not as good as a pop up, but will work for now. 

This works on the product page,  you do have to add it to every page, but you could use filters and customize per product if you want. Not perfect, but it works pretty well. 

I created all the add ons as products. They are all in a collection. 

In the "additional information" section, I used a summary block and chose the collection. I used a grid option and reduced the size and spacing. I added quick view which made it simple for them to use as an add on! (can show price, I didn't).

https://www.gatherprovisions.com/gather/p/classic-provisions

Thanks for sharing this. It worked for me.

Edited by Robertlesher
  • 10 months later...

Did this add-on for additional cost get resolved in 7.1? If I want to "add a card" to a product that only has a quantity of 1 to start, it makes a new sku and if they choose the card as an add on, it doesn't deplete the inventory on the original art.

I ended up adding as a form after clicking buy now but want to charge for this add-on and can't do it in the form.

https://www.letsresin8art.com/shop/p/heart-magnet-b2a26-2sgww-25thn

• 6 months later...

@paul2009 Hi Paul, I can’t seem to see what the solution was for adding a once off design fee on a product. So example: 

3 prints $30 + $5 design fee =$40 

Thank you!

Also is there a way to add an upload button to a product? I managed to add one to my contact us form but I tried adding it to the product the same way with no success. 

www.enjoythelittlethings.com.au 

pw: Chocolate 

Things have improved since this thread started in 2020. There is now an Add-on Product feature. 

Add-on Products are existing products from your store that display as an optional extra purchase when users view another Product Detail Page.

add-on product.png

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

5 hours ago, ETLTS said:

I have tried to add a form with a text area & file upload to products but nothing shows up.

You can add a Text Area field to a Custom Product Form. If this isn't working, please provide a link to the the product so that we can help you troubleshoot this.

Squarespace doesn't have a feature that allows you to add file uploads to product forms yet.