Add global search icon (magnifying glass only) to main navigation

Site URL: https://guitar-dragonfly-4xlh.squarespace.com/

Hi SQSP Gurus and Veterans! 

I’d like to add a global search icon to my main navigation but use just a magnifying glass (not the full search bar/box). 

I’ve looked high and low for a tutorial here on the forum, Youtube, and Google, but the closest instructions I could find are (1) how to add the full search bar to the main navigation, and (2) how to create a separate search page. The UX I’m going for is similar to this site (annotated screenshot also attached): https://cupofjo.com/

Could you please help me with code for adding just a search magnifying glass to the header? 

Thank you for your time!
Junipurr

Header Search Icon.JPG

Edited by Junipurr

Could you add the current search box of your template and we can see if it can be change to glass? What is your template using?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Junipurr said:

Hi @bangank36 thank you for your time and willingness to help! 

Add current search box - Sure! I added a search block in the footer of my site, directly under the logo

Template - I'm using 7.1's Ventura, I believe.

Thank you again!

the template you used can't add search icon on navigation right?

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Junipurr said:

Hi @bangank36, yes, this template does not allow adding search icon to the main navigation, but I found a way to do it with code by following this tutorial: https://www.will-myers.com/articles/adding-a-search-bar-to-your-header-in-squarespace-71 

Have you try it?

Hi @bangank36! Sorry for pestering, but would you be able to advise or point me in the right direction? I have already tried the tutorial I linked to, but the problem is that I only want the magnifying glass in my main navigation (not the entire search box, which overcrowds my main navigation, especially as I already have a rectangular button for newsletter). Thank you!

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, cyborg1234 said:

I am also looking to [add a search icon]

As I pointed out heresearch does not work correctly on Squarespace 7.1. and hasn't done for 21+ months. This is why Squarespace did not include a Search option in the 7.1 header. You can use code to add a search option, but you won't be able to fix the broken search service.

To lobby Squarespace to fix this, you'll need to contact Squarespace Customer Care to log your concern.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.