Force Background Video to Playback at Full Resolution? (Custom CSS)

Site URL: http://ryanmariehelfant.com/

Is there Custom CSS code to force my background video to playback at full resolution from the second it appears?

Can it fully load at max resolution before it starts playing? 

No matter the file size, resolution, codec, and FPS, it automatically buffers at low resolution for EXACTLY 6 SECONDS before snapping into full resolution.

(I have tried video ranging from 5MB to 1GB, 480p to 1080p, H.264 and Apple Pro Res, 24FPS and 25FPS - none of this makes a difference! It seems that there is something embedded in Squarespace that causes an exact 5 second low resolution buffer period).

@bangank36 ?

Edited by ryanmariehelfant
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was there any follow up on this from Squarespace? I just discovered I'm having the same problem, regardless of video background, regardless of codec, regardless of YT upload resolution or export resolution, it hit's full buffer in the same point in the video (likely that 6 second spot op described). Can anyone explain what's going on here or how we can avoid this? There has to be some sort of navigation around this to pre-buffer 1080p, or lock it at 720p so you don't get those jarring resolution switches.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Having the same issue. Spoke to squarespace said that they were aware and trying to fix. However seems like they don't really care as this issue has been going on for years it seems. Thinking of jumping ship but wish I didnt have to rebuild my site on another platform. But I see so many sites that full quality video plays instantly on. This really shouldn't be a problem for such a leading site building service.

• 2 weeks later...

If you would try my https://www.squarewebsites.org/squarespace-plugins/background-videos-utils and enable  my simple iframes - it will respect the quality settings (you may set in backgrounds itself, use values accordingly, its ?quality=1080p for Vimeo, Youtube stopped support from query and uses adaptive stream now it seems, you were able to do ?vq=hd1080 before). SS realisation will ignore this, but plugin will try to use. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 3:10 AM, michaeleparkour said:

If you would try my https://www.squarewebsites.org/squarespace-plugins/background-videos-utils and enable  my simple iframes - it will respect the quality settings (you may set in backgrounds itself, use values accordingly, its ?quality=1080p for Vimeo, Youtube stopped support from query and uses adaptive stream now it seems, you were able to do ?vq=hd1080 before). SS realisation will ignore this, but plugin will try to use. 

This is THE BEST SOLUTION to this freaking problem. Thank you. I just dropped the code in the cover page section and set the appropriate values and the background videos load straight to HD. Thank YOU! I was about to switch to WIX, saved a ton of work.

• 8 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 12:10 AM, michaeleparkour said:

Purchased this plugin but still have the same 6 second low-res buffer. Is there a walkthrough anyone can share to get this to work? Crazy that Squarespace STILL has not solved this issue after all these years. 

3 hours ago, mfalkenthal said:

Purchased this plugin but still have the same 6 second low-res buffer. Is there a walkthrough anyone can share to get this to work? Crazy that Squarespace STILL has not solved this issue after all these years. 

So just were needed to read commented lines in settings and set values. Who purchased plugin - will get a help.

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2023 at 11:36 AM, Drevangough said:

This is THE BEST SOLUTION to this freaking problem. Thank you. I just dropped the code in the cover page section and set the appropriate values and the background videos load straight to HD. Thank YOU! I was about to switch to WIX, saved a ton of work.

Plugin works but does nothing regarding buffer issue. Avoid buying. 

Edited by reeceo