My Client Broke Their Site with Shopify 2 Days After I Finished It

Site URL: https://www.thesaltyco.com

Hi folks,

I created a pretty straightforward site for some clients and it went live on Monday. Everything was done. I got paid - everyone was happy. Then I got a text saying that they don't know what they did... and now their url (or any specific page on their url) goes to this Shopify landing page. I know they were trying to setup a Shopify store, obv, but... I don't really know anything about that platform. I tried to disconnect it, and I tried chatting with Shopfiy help for an hour and they had me go into our DNS settings on GoDaddy, where I can see that everything is so jacked up, but the things they had me change didn't fix anything. Also, I don't know why we weren't communicating well, but I was never sure that Shopify understood that a Shopfiy landing page had taken over this entire site.

Does anyone have any tips or know how I might even begin to tackle this? Shopify has been totally unhelpful, and even when I totally cancelled the store and subscription this landing page didn't go away. 

I mean, you can see for yourself if you try to visit our site, but here's a screen shot. Any help is VERY appreciated. 

Also, I can upload a pic of the DNS settings if that would be helpful. 

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 19.23.01.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Smartyart said:

I created a pretty straightforward site for some clients and it went live on Monday. Everything was done. I got paid - everyone was happy. Then I got a text saying that they don't know what they did

Just to be clear, are you saying that you built a Squarespace site for someone using the url www.thesaltyco.com and now it's not working because it is showing Shopify instead?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@Smartyart I can see that the domain name was set up correctly for Squarespace around 20th September and the details were still correct two days ago.

However, since then it appears that the owner of the domain has changed the DNS records to Shopify's. I assume that when they were trying to set up Shopify they clicked on Connect existing domain in Shopify admin. From there, all they need to do is type in their domain name and click Next, and, with the correct username and password, their domain will point to Shopify instead of Squarespace! Although I do wonder why someone would be setting up Shopify just after you built them a Squarespace site, but I guess that's a different question. 🤔

They can remove the domain from Shopify by following the steps in this article. The domain can then be reconnected to Squarespace by following the steps in this Squarespace help guide.

I hope this helps.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived