SSL Certificate Processing - Time / Troubleshooting

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

Site URL: https://www.mertonlawyers.com.au

Hi Guys, 

We have recently connected an external domain: https://www.mertonlawyers.com.au to our site: https://mushroom-rabbit-ff8k.squarespace.com

All the DNS settings are showing as green and connected however we can't view the live site - I believe because we are waiting for the SSL certificate. 

The SSL status is showing as processing and I have read that this can take up to 72 hours (it has been approx 24) however I wanted to confirm this is just a matter of waiting and that there are no other issues. Is there any way to be sure of this? 

I'm wondering if its possible that this is an issue with an old conflicting SSL certificate from and older Wordpress site? However I'm not sure if this would show up as a red error in the DNS records.

I have used https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html but the results are a bit too technical for me. 

Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

• Solution

Just a general note for folks.

Although things like DNS changes and SSL certificates usually take much less than the 72 hour recommended waiting period. There are those occasional circumstances when it does take the recommended wait period.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am so unimpressed with Squarespace. It has taken longer than any other domain transfer, still is not working (causing us to lose business and alarming customers who now believe we have been "hacked" and are panic messaging wondering if their information is compromised). The 24/7 service promised is a joke - sending an email is not immediate service. 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to minimise or reduce the gap time between when the domain propogates (becomes connected) to a squarespace site and when the SSL certificate is issued and becomes active?

My concern is that there can be a period of 48hrs or more where the site could be accessible without SSL, meaning that it will show a non-secure message in the browser when users try to access the site..

I don't see this being an issue for new squarespace sites on new domains, but certainly not ideal for launching a new squarespace site on an existing domain that has frequent visitation.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:06 AM, cohdig said:

Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to minimise or reduce the gap time between when the domain propagates...and when the SSL certificate is issued and becomes active?

It will depend on how much control you have over your DNS. You cannot obtain an SSL certificate for your new site until your DNS records have been updated and have propagated.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 5:30 AM, creedon said:

Just a general note for folks.

Although things like DNS changes and SSL certificates usually take much less than the 72 hour recommended waiting period. There are those occasional circumstances when it does take the recommended wait period.

In my case it shows SSL certificate status unavailable as the reason my site has not connected to the domain whereas when I check the SSL certificate status under the domains tap on the Squarespace site, it showns that the SSL certificate is active. Does it mean that I should wait or should I disconnect the domain and start the process all over again?

Site URL: https://guppy-avocado-wdkn.squarespace.com/config/settings/domains/linked/loyfolio.com

My main issue is that I'm not able to connect my domain (www.loyfolio.com) to Squarespace and I've tried all avenues made available to me. My domain provider did assist me in obtaining the SSL certificate and it showns on my domain but when I try to connect it to Sqaurespace it shows connection failure resulting from SSL certificate status being unavailable. I don't understand how that is possible as I have been issued with a certificate?

could you please assist.

Loyfolio.png

ssl certificate failed.png

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Jellybean said:

Hi my ssl certificate has said processing for two days. Is there something wrong?

This typically takes an hour or so, but it can take longer. It's difficult for forum users to troubleshoot this as we do not have access to your settings. You may be better off contacting Squarespace Customer Support, ideally using live chat.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Hey @paul2009,

Wonderful explanation. Glad to hear SS is using Let's Encrypt under the hood and totally understand where the delays occur. Quick question about a better process for transfer:

Would it be possible to add just the CNAME verification record to get the SSL cert to generate and then add the redirection @ CNAME and @ A records? That should be enough for SS to process and can leave the site live on it's old domain until it's clear to move over.

If this functionality doesn't exist, it would be really cool to have that as a feature request.

For those who are struggling with DNS propagation, you can actually speed up the process by requesting the big providers to flush their DNS. For instance, you can request a purge from Google here and you can request a purge from CloudFlare here. I'm sure there are others out there, but I've found that just doing these two typically gets everything I need in a matter of minutes.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:00 PM, meikie said:

Hey @paul2009,

Wonderful explanation. Glad to hear SS is using Let's Encrypt under the hood and totally understand where the delays occur. Quick question about a better process for transfer:

Would it be possible to add just the CNAME verification record to get the SSL cert to generate and then add the redirection @ CNAME and @ A records? That should be enough for SS to process and can leave the site live on it's old domain until it's clear to move over.

If this functionality doesn't exist, it would be really cool to have that as a feature request.

For those who are struggling with DNS propagation, you can actually speed up the process by requesting the big providers to flush their DNS. For instance, you can request a purge from Google here and you can request a purge from CloudFlare here. I'm sure there are others out there, but I've found that just doing these two typically gets everything I need in a matter of minutes.

I'm trying this now on a site, just updated the verify DNS and nothing more. If it works, I'll be sure to update the post.