How do I connect my GoDaddy domain to my SquareSpace site

Hello, I have just finished designing my site, and am ready to make it go live. However, my previous site is still up through GoDaddy. There, I have purchased my domain, and have it hosted through cPanel. I want to continue my services with GoDaddy, but just want the domain to link to the SquareSpace site I have created. 

To my understanding, the best way to do this is by connection my domain. How exactly would I go about doing that? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, chloemiller said:

I’d like to help my clients transfer the domain away from cPanel and have it hosted through Squarespace. Is that possible?

It may be possible. If the domain is only used for hosting a website and nothing else, such as email, then it should be safe to transfer the domain to SS. There are some big advantages to SS hosting the domain even though their domain prices are not the cheapest. Convenience for the client not having to follow and pay two companies. One bill gets it done. The other is secure connection! https://yada.yada.yada. With an outside provider you usually don't get that included in the base cost of the domain. It's an extra.

Now here is the tricky bit. If your current provider is providing other services, email being the most common, then transfer may not be an option. It just depends if the provider has a bundle deal, domain name and email hosting together. Some require you to have both services and don't let you ala carte them.

Now of course you could choose alternate providers for all the services that are part of the domain and then transfer the domain to SS.

SS's DNS records management is fairly primitive compared to well established domain registrars like GoDaddy or Amazon Web Services Route 53. So if your DNS records needs are complex you'll want to use the connection method as opposed to the transfer method.

This really just covers the basics.

It seems like connecting it is in alternate, but then they have to pay for both services, right?

Yes. Connecting means paying each provider for their services.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

This was an incredibly helpful response, thank you!

It sounds like their email is through Google and domain is through Dotster (not sure where cPanel comes in then?), so hopefully a much smoother transition than I was worrying about.

I'm aiming to have them transfer, not connect, and will reach out if I run into issues.

REALLY appreciate the speedy and clear answers!

32 minutes ago, chloemiller said:

Google and domain is through Dotster (not sure where cPanel comes in then?), so hopefully a much smoother transition than I was worrying about.

I assume it's Google Workspace. There is info on what DNS records you need to make the connection. Or, you could probably copy the MX record information over from Dotster.

The first important step is releasing the domain lock, if there is one. There is a little dance that usually needs to take place with secret codes. All this is a system that tries to protect domain owners from having their domains stolen out from under them, which used to happen often back in the day.

Please see Transferring a domain to Squarespace.

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello!

Sorry to jump on - currently having the same issues with cpanel!

Client has their email and domain with cpanel, and it's proving very difficult to connect the domain up - the DNS settings just aren't connecting!

Transferring to SS may not be an option for them as their email is hosted with cpanel too. Are there any alternatives?

On 8/23/2022 at 1:30 PM, lh-cl-2021 said:

currently having the same issues with cpanel!

You posted about this in another thread. I have replied there.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi there, 

I have a very similar issue with cPanel. I'm trying to transfer an existing domain to my Squarespace site.

The client has their current wordpress site and email managed through cPanel.

I have tried to follow all the guides online, using Zone Editor but it doesn't allow me to add in my 'www' CNAME record. I also can't see my A records once I enter them in even though it says they've been successfully added.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

2 hours ago, Annabel said:

Hi there, 

I have a very similar issue with cPanel. I'm trying to transfer an existing domain to my Squarespace site.

The client has their current wordpress site and email managed through cPanel.

I have tried to follow all the guides online, using Zone Editor but it doesn't allow me to add in my 'www' CNAME record. I also can't see my A records once I enter them in even though it says they've been successfully added.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Hi Annabel,

Sounds exactly like the same issue I'm having!
I'm on another thread at the moment with @paul2009  which you are able to find here.

My A records also do not appear but if it says they're successful, then I'm happy. It's just that www CNAME record...been trying for nearly 2 weeks now!