Hiding Files from Search Engines

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is actually really quite difficult but in practice:

1. robots.txt would tell the search engines where not to index  - so you could put all your PDFs inside a folder and then exclude that folder. Problem is that users could just look at robots.txt and find where you are hiding them.

2. Remove from site-map will again stop it being indexed in Google.

3. Don't put them on a server!!

4. I don't know if you add a digital product in SquareSpace in a shop whether this means that the product is not added to a sitemap or included in Google Search (I would be interested to know that).

For me the best way to protect files on a traditioanl server is to use htacess and hard-code a password protect on the folder at the server level. No-one gets in.

Hope this helps somehow.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

• 1 year later...

In the unlinked in the back section of your site, you create a file, upload the pdf into the file, and create a link for the pdf. that you can then use in a button, or in any communications (blog post, email, page)  on your site so that, one someone clicks on the active link, your pdf will open.

Here's a good YouTube video that shows us how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZL9cBXckk

Hope that helps!

Edited by Gemma04101
make the message more clear
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 2:39 PM, erinsydd said:

Site URL: http://www.swoopanalytics.com

Hi there, 

Is it possible to hide individual files from being indexed by search engines?

We have quite a few PDF documents that require opt-in data capture prior to download, however, I have discovered that some of the files are showing up in search results with a direct link to the doc. 

Is there a way to hide them?

Thanks in advance!

Hey! Did you ever find the solution to this? Having the same troubles here!

On 10/21/2020 at 4:39 AM, erinsydd said:

We have quite a few PDF documents that require opt-in data capture prior to download, however, I have discovered that some of the files are showing up in search results with a direct link to the doc. 

Is there a way to hide them?

7 hours ago, Tgrace said:

Did you ever find the solution to this?

If you have uploaded a file and linked it from a public page, search engines can index the file and show it in search results.

You should be able to prevent search engines from indexing a newly uploaded file if you upload it to a password-protected page, as this prevents search engines from accessing the page to discover and index the file. If you have already added a file that has been indexed, it is best to remove the file, then upload it again after setting a page password. 

Of course, none of this can stop someone downloading a file if they know the direct URL or if they guess it correctly. Files added to password-protected or member area pages are currently no better protected against access than any other files.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.