Per Item Shipping Rates

Site URL: http://www.anchoredshrimp.com

Will per item shipping rates ever be an option on Squarespace? 

My shop currently has two shipping options for seafood items. ($25 Flat Rate Ground and $45 Flat Rate Air.)

I can't use the carrier calculating shipping because the real cost of shipping 20lbs perishable packages is indeed costly. (I do add shipping cost to the overall price of my items.)

This way of setting up my store makes it so I can never have sell small items or merchandise.

I would LOVE the option if a customer wanted to buy just a T shirt for $15 it would simply just have a free shipping automatically selected. If a customer wanted to have a t shirt and a seafood item the $25 and $45 options will be available to select.

Shopify is one platform I see starting to tackle this issue this year however it still seems like a complicated process with them. They do item shipping by "profiles."

Squarespace is one of the biggest ecommerce platforms out there.. how is this still not an option yet?

I have seen multiple questions about this. Does Squarespace just ignore suggestions?

• 1 year later...

I have tried to ask this same question and have been ignored. selling a batch of small items makes the shipping prohibitive and I am losing sales. There should be a way to pre-enter shipping costs per item or have the carrier calculated shipments be by overall weight of the shipment which it does not do. Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

We all need to contact squarespace customer service and request item specific shipping. Our company is in the same boat. We ship perishable goods as well...Right now we are using weight based shipping and it works really well because all our product offerings are about the same weight (11 pounds) but we want to offer bigger combo packs(30pounds) and that will throw a total wrench into the shipping tables so haven't found a way to set that up properly with the current shipping tables

Edited by MPX
  • 3 months later...

We are in the same boat on multiple stores. Additionally, I have tried to put items on sale to indirectly account for the shipping costs, but then i can't change the label that says "sale" or easily add a banner across the items to say that the discount is a shipping discount. It is just very limited. I think Shopify and Big Cartel have more features in this regard than SS does, unfortunately.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, awsatchel said:

Will per item shipping rates ever be an option on Squarespace? 

On 12/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, SacredSoulTarot said:

I have tried to ask this same question and have been ignored.

I don't think that requests are being ignored. 

However, I do think it would help if users provided detailed examples of why the existing shipping options (shipping by weight, by country) are not working for them. Real world examples ("use cases") that detail the products, the shipping methods and the regions may be really helpful to the Shipping & Fulfillment team product team. If they hear from large numbers of customers who are affected by a specific issue, it may be easier for them to prioritise that.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@Paul2009 An example for you (and Squarespace). 

We have a physical magazine subscription offer which bundles 2 magazines for a smaller subscription fee which is recurring. The items are posted out 6 months apart. Initially when we set up the products we were able to specify the product weight to ensure that we captured 2x the cost of postage for shipping. There no longer seems to be an option to include a weight on physical products available to me and it means that I now take quite a large hit on international postage for the 2nd lot of postage.  If anyone can help as this feature existed before and seemed to disappear when the new product setup pages arrived. The help advice pages on the site refer to the old setup I think before the upgrade. Any fixes for this would be greatly appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, TonicMag said:

There no longer seems to be an option to include a weight on physical products available to me and it means that I now take quite a large hit on international postage for the 2nd lot of postage.

You should be able to set the weight of a physical product in the Product Composer when you edit a product. You'll find it in the Inventory section, listed as Advanced Shipping.

See the highlighted elements below:

shipping-weight-highlighted-product-composer.thumb.png.11082ffa7c334733ce290fc4e30b1e8e.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

Not having item specific shipping options is such a pain in the ass and it is definitely costing me sales.  We sell larger items that require a large box so we need to have the advanced shipping options for that to calculate properly...but we also sell cards and small flat items and since Squarespace doesn't have an option to send things First Class mail, it costs my customers over $9 to ship a card...which is RIDICULOUS and no one is ever going to do that.  I have tried so many work arounds using discounts but they all have limitations and drawbacks where I end up losing money if people do store pick up, or they don't work properly on a small item. I can't afford to offer free shipping on whole orders due to the postage costs and the discount to automatically apply free shipping cannot be limited to a specific category or item, just on orders over a certain amount...which is not at all helpful for me.

For the amount I pay annually to have the advanced commerce plan that is supposed to calculate the shipping costs, this is so unworkable for my business. PLEASE Squarespace, get a fix for this! At least restructure the discounts so we can offer Free Shipping on a specific category or something to work around it until item specific shipping is possible. And for god's sake, offer First class mail from USPS as an option. Like...why is that not an option??? Makes no damn sense.