Is dynamic pricing possible?

Site URL: https://example.com

Is it possible to offer dynamic pricing?

Example:

We offer landscaping services and we want to charge people different prices based on the size of their property.

Right now it seems that the only option squarespace offers would be to provide packages such as:

1000-2000 sqft = $500

2000-3000 sqft = $1000

But this is not ideal for us.

We want to do dynamic pricing, where the user can enter a number of square feet, say 3,426 and we can calculate the price such as 3,426 * $1.15 per square foot = $3,939.90.

It doesn't seem like this is a possibility even through their API.

We tried using the quantity field, doing something like:

Product price = $1.15 per square foot and the quantity = 3,426 and then we can use JavaScript injection to change the field labels from saying quantity to saying square feet, but this doesn't work because Squarespace only allows people to add up to a maximum quantity of 500.

It seems like our only real solution may be to embed our own custom checkout form in an iFrame using something like Stripe.

I wanted to double check if with the forums in case I am missing something before I go ahead and implement our own checkout process.

• 4 months later...
On 10/13/2020 at 3:58 AM, jfny100 said:

Site URL: https://example.com

Is it possible to offer dynamic pricing?

Example:

We offer landscaping services and we want to charge people different prices based on the size of their property.

Right now it seems that the only option squarespace offers would be to provide packages such as:

1000-2000 sqft = $500

2000-3000 sqft = $1000

But this is not ideal for us.

We want to do dynamic pricing, where the user can enter a number of square feet, say 3,426 and we can calculate the price such as 3,426 * $1.15 per square foot = $3,939.90.

It doesn't seem like this is a possibility even through their API.

We tried using the quantity field, doing something like:

Product price = $1.15 per square foot and the quantity = 3,426 and then we can use JavaScript injection to change the field labels from saying quantity to saying square feet, but this doesn't work because Squarespace only allows people to add up to a maximum quantity of 500.

It seems like our only real solution may be to embed our own custom checkout form in an iFrame using something like Stripe.

I wanted to double check if with the forums in case I am missing something before I go ahead and implement our own checkout process.

We are interested in a similar feature on our shop site as well.  One that calculates custom dimension variables that feeds into a price per sqft formulate and calculates price to be added to cart for custom sized and qty items.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, jfny100 said:

Is it possible to offer dynamic pricing? We want to do dynamic pricing, where the user can enter a number of square feet, say 3,426 and we can calculate the price such as 3,426 * $1.15 per square foot = $3,939.90.

You could add a price per unit, allowing the customer to add the appropriate quantity but you cannot have more than 500 items (a total qty of 500) in the cart, so you'd need to use a different unit of measurement.

For example, if you sold in units of "100 sq ft" at $115, the user could order 35 units to order 3,500 sq ft. You'd need some custom JavaScript to do the calculation first and select the appropriate quantity.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Juelz said:

1) Can I add a for field where one can choose the style of the necklace where it adds $10 for choosing a specific style of the necklaces?

2) Is there also a way to show the file BEFORE clicking ADD TO CARD?

1) No.

2) No.

Custom Product Forms cannot affect the cost of a product and can only appear after the Add to Cart button is clicked. 

However, you can add a product variant for the different style and assign it a different price. The variant option will appear beside the Add to Cart button.

For more information, see: Adding product variants.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...