New Google Analytics Tag

Go to solution Solved by babyface,

On 11/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

1. In Google Analytics create a new property.
  2. In the new property setup panel there's a link "Show Advanced Options" at the bottom.
  3. In Advanced Options there's an option "Create a Universal Analytics property". Using this option will give you the option to either create both a GA4 and a UA id in which case it creates 2 properties and links them or you can just create a single UA id.

it's the end of the year and I recently saw this - after lots of rounds, mil gracias! 🙌

It is me and my nontech-experience, but I can't find 'Show Advanced Options" at the bottom, nor
the option "Create a Universal Analytics property". Can someone help me? Maube with some screenshots or so?

On 11/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

2. In the new property setup panel there's a link "Show Advanced Options" at the bottom.
  3. In Advanced Options there's an option "Create a Universal Analytics property". Using this option will give you the option to either create both a GA4 and a UA id in which case it creates 2 properties and links them or you can just create a single UA id.

Oh Baby(face)! Thank you!

On 11/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

Thank you so much for this! Could you possibly advise whether I should insert the GA4 Gtag into the header AS WELL AS entering the UA code into the External API Key field?

Been going around in circles a bit - was paying for a google analytics through Square which gave me specific locations, even IP addresses of visitors. Didn't want to pay $75/yr so I cancelled it. Tried setting up google analytics by starting a google account and set up the properties as guided but it would not accept my GA numbers, said it had to be UA so I sent into the google account and found the option for UA. Customer service sent me this in response saying I didn't have to paste anything into the header, just paste the "UA" code. Works but not giving much info. 

So, are some of you saying you paste into the header anyway and does that give you better results with the information? 

Here is what customer service sent me:

Yes, if you are wanting to integrate Google Analytics with your Squarespace site, all you would need to do is enter your  Google Analytics tracking ID in the Google Analytics Account Number field, as described here:

Using Google Analytics with Squarespace

To clarify, this tracking ID would be formatted as:

UA-XXXXX-YY

For help finding this, refer to Google's guide below:

Set up the Analytics global site tag 

You'll only need to follow the steps under the 

Find your Tracking ID and global site tag

section. You don't need to use the rest of the steps from that article since you won't need to use code for this process. 

Once this is added, tt may take up to 24 hours for site statistics to populate in Google Analytics.

Please let us know if you have additional questions, we're available 24/7.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

Being the case that I want to keep UA running parallel to GA4...

Does this code replace the existing UA code, or should I keep them both in the injection? If the answer is "replace," the footer would then be blank, correct?

Also, I imagine that this option OR GTM is sufficient, but both aren't necessary?

On 11/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, MeganMikkelsen said:

Is there any other code needed? I inserted by G-code into the footer (header has a kajabi integration script), and now it just shows my G-code at the bottom of my website.

You need to add the entire script, not just the ID.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for posting here about this issue. I had created a property in the new Google Analytics 4 mode, and of course the code didn't work because it's G- not UA-. So then I created another property with a slightly different name (same account/website though) and chose the Advanced Options and followed the posters' directions from there. SS support gave little guidance on a solution for this, so happy to be a part of this group so that I can move forward with this build.

• 2 weeks later...

Just one guy's opinion, but I think the most effective way for you to add this is by investing some time into learning how to work in Google Tag Manager. You can add the tag manager code to your website and from there you can setup your Google, Facebook, and other tracking pixels and events. 

Measure School is a great resource and they have a lot of free step-by-step tutorials on how to DIY this on Youtube. 

On 11/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

THANK YOU !! I was literally going crazy all day. I'm new to this whole thing and created a Google Analytics account but couldn't find the UA number for the life of me. that's just because I didn't have any. deleted my old and made a new one following these steps and was able to integrate it to my SS account. thanks again !!

• 4 months later...

I am just getting to this thread and my head is about to burst. It doesn't appear that SS accepts the new G- GA ID vs the traditional UA-  GA ID.

I then plugged this into code injection to replace GTM:

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-XXXXXXXX"></script>
<script>
  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
  gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'G-XXXXXXXXX');
</script>

I'm assuming I've now messed all of this up! Anyone? SOS 🙂

Edited by TFC

Hi @TFC - it's easy to get confused about how to implement Google Analytics on Squarespace right now! From your post it sounds like you had Google Tag Manager (GTM) code installed on your site previously and you are looking to add a GA4 property? If that's the case, first you would want to reinstall your GTM code snippets, and then second, use a new GA4 Config tag within Google Tag Manager to start loading the GA4 tracking code on the site.

We just published an updated guide to implementing Google Analytics on Squarespace here (although this doesn't cover the GTM option yet).

Reply if you still have questions!

Hi, I have been reading up on the work around for GA 4 tracking ID and how to still create a UA tracking ID. Issue is that now, June 2021, there doesn't appear to be an 'advanced settings' option when creating a new property in GA. I cannot see an option for creating universal analytics anywhere - I presume this is because it has now been phased out? Anyone know if this is the case?

So as I see it, the only way to add in the new GA4 tracking code (currently the only option if you want to link to a GA account!) into Squarespace is to upgrade to a business plan from a personal plan where I will be able to either add an injection code into the header or add through external API keys. 

If anyone knows a way around without having to upgrade plans, please can you let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

8 hours ago, KateMouse said:

Hi, I have been reading up on the work around for GA 4 tracking ID and how to still create a UA tracking ID. Issue is that now, June 2021, there doesn't appear to be an 'advanced settings' option when creating a new property in GA. I cannot see an option for creating universal analytics anywhere - I presume this is because it has now been phased out? Anyone know if this is the case?

So as I see it, the only way to add in the new GA4 tracking code (currently the only option if you want to link to a GA account!) into Squarespace is to upgrade to a business plan from a personal plan where I will be able to either add an injection code into the header or add through external API keys. 

If anyone knows a way around without having to upgrade plans, please can you let me know. 

Thanks in advance. 

@KateMouse - you can still create a new UA property if that's the tracking code you want to implement. This post includes a couple of screenshots showing where how to create a UA property instead of GA4.

11 hours ago, edharris said:

@KateMouse - you can still create a new UA property if that's the tracking code you want to implement. This post includes a couple of screenshots showing where how to create a UA property instead of GA4.

@edharris thank you for the link, however my issue is that within GA, in the property setting section, the  'show advanced option' link is missing! See screengrab. Any help with trying to understand why this link is no longer showing will be very appreciated. Thanks Kate1849479542_Screenshot2021-06-16at10_28_25.thumb.png.e39da836e0ae93e68be496a3754651e3.png

4 hours ago, KateMouse said:

@edharris thank you for the link, however my issue is that within GA, in the property setting section, the  'show advanced option' link is missing! See screengrab. Any help with trying to understand why this link is no longer showing will be very appreciated. Thanks Kate1849479542_Screenshot2021-06-16at10_28_25.thumb.png.e39da836e0ae93e68be496a3754651e3.png

@KateMouse I think the issue here is that you've already created a GA4 property. The option to choose the previous UA instead is only available as you are setting up a new property for the first time.

If you're looking to run a UA tracking property on your website, your best bet is to create a new property (by clicking the blue "+ Create Property" button you can see in your screenshot. Then as you go through the Property creation process you'll see the advanced options to adjust it to a UA property instead.

Hope that helps!