New Google Analytics Tag

Go to solution Solved by babyface,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wrestling with the same issue. Just created a new Google Analytics account for a new site and got a tracking number that doesn't match the External API Link field in SquareSpace. SqSp wants something that looks like UA-XXXXXX-Y. But Google have me a G-XXXXXXXXXX number.

Thanks in advance!

I know this has something to do with the google analytics update Oct 14th. They have done away with Universal tags and I am wondering if Squarespace has caught up. However, I don't know how to get a hold of Squarespace to make sure they are aware of the issue. 

Here's how to solve it:

Login to you Sqaurespace website. Then Settings >> Advanced >> Code Injection >> Header. Here is where you add the new Global Site Tag "G-" code. Click SAVE.

To get the new Global Site Tag, log into you Google analytics account. Go to: Settings >> Property >> Data Streams. Set up a Web Stream for your website (unless you already have it). Then go to Tagging Instructions and copy the Global Site Tag (gtag.js) code. This is the code you have to paste in Squarespace Code Injection "Header".

8 hours ago, Guest007 said:

Here's how to solve it:

Login to you Sqaurespace website. Then Settings >> Advanced >> Code Injection >> Header. Here is where you add the new Global Site Tag "G-" code. Click SAVE.

To get the new Global Site Tag, log into you Google analytics account. Go to: Settings >> Property >> Data Streams. Set up a Web Stream for your website (unless you already have it). Then go to Tagging Instructions and copy the Global Site Tag (gtag.js) code. This is the code you have to paste in Squarespace Code Injection "Header".

Agree that this would resolve it. Curious to hear from anyone that tries this whether GA ecommerce tracking works with this implementation though. In my experience, GA has to be implemented through Squarespace's built-in integration in order for ecommerce tracking to work.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, edharris said:

Agree that this would resolve it. Curious to hear from anyone that tries this whether GA ecommerce tracking works with this implementation though. In my experience, GA has to be implemented through Squarespace's built-in integration in order for ecommerce tracking to work.

Do I need to remove the old UA code in the Squarespace External API key so it is blank if I am adding the header code in?

I contacted support and they advised that at this stage they have no update when their system will accept the new Google Analytics 4 (GA4) measurement ID.

It is disappointing because clients who don't have a business or eCommerce plan don't have any option to add the GA4 tag in. 

Support suggest clients add a UA tag in but this disregards the fact GA4 is based on a global tag and even Google recommends during setup not to use the UA tag.

Understand Google has made the change, but at the very least Squarespace should allow code injection until they have a fix for this as GA4 is now the default for all new Google Analytics users. They are also strongly encouraging every current GA user to apply a GA4 property in parallel.

Another alternate, would be if Squarespace allowed people to add Google Tag Manager in without the need to upgrade their plan.

Given the current situation, is not suitable for several clients to pay more just for this feature.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 5:59 AM, Guest007 said:

Here's how to solve it:

This would have been an excellent fix, but Code Injection for some unfathomable reason, was made a premium feature available to only Business and Commerce plans. I agree with the points raised thus far and Squarespace needs to effect a timely remedy.

On 10/29/2020 at 7:22 PM, LYFSolutions said:

I contacted support and they advised that at this stage they have no update when their system will accept the new Google Analytics 4 (GA4) measurement ID.

It is disappointing because clients who don't have a business or eCommerce plan don't have any option to add the GA4 tag in. 

Support suggest clients add a UA tag in but this disregards the fact GA4 is based on a global tag and even Google recommends during setup not to use the UA tag.

Understand Google has made the change, but at the very least Squarespace should allow code injection until they have a fix for this as GA4 is now the default for all new Google Analytics users. They are also strongly encouraging every current GA user to apply a GA4 property in parallel.

Another alternate, would be if Squarespace allowed people to add Google Tag Manager in without the need to upgrade their plan.

Given the current situation, is not suitable for several clients to pay more just for this feature.

This! 

I just created a new GA property for my daughter's portfolio site and would like to track how many colleges are viewing. Don't even see where I can generate a UA code within the new Google Analytics.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:59 AM, Guest007 said:

Here's how to solve it:

Is there any other code needed? I inserted by G-code into the footer (header has a kajabi integration script), and now it just shows my G-code at the bottom of my website.

Agreed with everyone above - I've created a VERY basic splash page for a new business and don't think it should be required to upgrade my account in order to simply link to Google Analytics.

This is likely a very basic question, but does anyone know how to go back and change the Google Analytics account structure/type so it's not GA4? Is it even possible? I just set my account up, so there is no historical data, but I can't seem to figure out how I would have set things up differently that would have allowed for the older version.

GA4 tracking implementation is in Beta and will eventually go and replace Universal Analytics (UA) as the measurement code for tracking via Google Analytics. There is going to be a lot of work involved as many big companies have UA wrapped into their analytics.

If you are setting up a new website Google will, as usual, attempt to force you to implement GA4 because they do love getting people to test their stuff for free! However, you will find that you can select an option that will give you a standards UA- analytics code.

If you have a Google Analytics code running already on your website then in GA you can go and upgrade your tag to GA4, this will not replace your existing tracking but simply create a new property that will be used to capture GA4 data. You will see this second property does not have the prefix of UA, and that is because new GA4 properties don't have this tag.

I've not actually been using the External keys for GA in SquareSpace (SS), but I just learnt about them. My preference is to simply use Google Tag Manager and then use the code-injection option to load across all pages (my question: any performance improvements loading Universal Analytics (UA) google tag via the external keys?)

I'm no guru but the learned advice for GA4 is to run it in parallel with your existing UA implementation to see how the data comes in. Also, if you have been doing any Event Tracking for UA via GTM then there is a complete rewrite process for mapping those events using the new GTM event for GA4. I will slowly crawl my way through that.

This is all driven by the fact that Privacy implementations are severely limiting the capacity of Google to measure effectively their paid campaigns (read: less value and less advertisers investing) and just as Facebook has recently done a deal with Shoppify to send conversion data back to Facebook without a pixel implementation, I expect GA4 addresses to some degree that, or at least paves the road for that outcome. For sure it is much easier to track conversions and also it is supposed to pull together much more efficiently cross device and cross app usage. I'll admit though the first time I went and saw the GA4 dashboard I was not amused!!

Hopefully this answers some questions.

GlynMusica

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

• Solution

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

1. In Google Analytics create a new property.
  2. In the new property setup panel there's a link "Show Advanced Options" at the bottom.
  3. In Advanced Options there's an option "Create a Universal Analytics property". Using this option will give you the option to either create both a GA4 and a UA id in which case it creates 2 properties and links them or you can just create a single UA id.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:12 AM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

2. In the new property setup panel there's a link "Show Advanced Options" at the bottom.
  3. In Advanced Options there's an option "Create a Universal Analytics property". Using this option will give you the option to either create both a GA4 and a UA id in which case it creates 2 properties and links them or you can just create a single UA id.

This worked! Thank you @babyface And WTG Google, for once again not thinking ahead of all the people who use other services.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, babyface said:

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

Thank you so much for this! Worked and have spent all day trying to sort this out....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 8:59 PM, Guest007 said:

Here's how to solve it:

Thanks mate, spent freeking ages trying to work that one out. Sqaurespace need to be up on this.