Required data in DNS settings not matching required data in Squarespace step by step guide

Site URL: http://www.effa.org.au/

Hi all.

I am trying to link my third party domain hosted on Crazy Domains to my Squarespace. I have been following the step by step guides provided by Squarespace (https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812378-Connecting-a-domain-to-your-Squarespace-site).

I am getting confused with some of the required data. Currently, my site has different values listed to what the guide says it should in the DNS Settings. For example, my DNS panel lists the required data for the second CNAME as "ext.squarespace.com", yet on the guide in the link I provided, they say to use the URL "ext-cust.squarespace.com". 

Further to this, the guide says i should have 4 A records, yet in my DNS Settings panel on Squarespace I have only one; the IP address off which does not match any of the IP Addresses that you are told to enter on your hosts DNS Settings.

My dilemma is whether to point to the Required data listed in my Squarespace DNS Settings panel to my hosts DNS Settings, or whether to follow the guide provided with the values they say to use, including the 4 separate A records. I'd rather not wait 72 hours to find have done this incorrectly. 

Does anyone have an answer for me?

I have posted a screenshot of my Squarespace DNS Settings panel for reference. I've also screenshotted the settings one is told to enter in the step by step guide. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Taylor

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 2.51.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 3.03.56 pm.png

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delete your A and CNAME records. They are old and no longer correct.

Add the two CNAME records and the four A records that are shown in steps 4 and 5 of the guide. Take care to enter them correctly.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply.

I assume you mean delete any old settings I have input into my domain host's DNS settings? As the DNS values on the Squarespace side are simply what Squarespace spat out when I linked the domain (and I don't think I can delete any DNS values on the Squarespace end). My confusion is whether i should be matching these settings that Squarespace produced for me in my panel or whether i need to follow the exact settings set out in the guide that you mention? 

You need to follow the exact settings in the guide. Ignore the panel in the first screenshot until you have followed the guide. Once you have removed the deprecated settings the advice given in this panel should be much clearer.

Do remember that Squarespace Customer Care provide a free live chat service and are there to help you set this up. You can reach out to them here.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. 

I've updated the records on my domain ends DNS settings according to the guide, though i've done it specific to the Crazy Domains version (https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/217579448-Connecting-a-Crazy-Domains-domain-to-your-Squarespace-site)  which specifies not to use an "@" in the subdomain field for each A record but rather keep it blank. My squarespace site is still yet to finish connecting. Fingers crossed it does before the 72 hours is out. Will keep you posted if it fails to connect.

Thanks!

Hey Paul. I appreciate your advice earlier, but unfortunately it was wrong. I'm hoping people will not fall into the same trap with this confusing situation. I had to follow the exact settings given in my Squarespace DNS panel (which did not match the settings set out in the step by step guide). Only the one A record was required, as in my first screenshot of my Squarespace DNS Panel. The site is now connected.

1 hour ago, Taylor1029 said:

Only the one A record was required

I respectfully disagree. 🙂

If you only have one A record then, whilst it may work today, you now have no redundancy and your site could go down if some of Squarespace’s infrastructure fails. Having four A records provides the necessary fallback to prevent this.

For more information, I recommend you contact Squarespace Customer Care. 

With all due respect, following the guide with the four A records (as you suggested) failed to connect the domain at all after 72 hours. Inputting the single A value (198.185.159.135) from my Squarespace DNS panel connected the site. The dilemma was whether to follow the settings my panel told me to follow, or whether to follow the guide as you suggested.

My situation seems to be unique where the DNS values given in my Squarespace panel do not match the values in the step by step guide. What you are saying is irrelevant if I can't get the domain connected at all. I think Squarespace should update there guide to explain this scenario.

Again I appreciate your help but I can only anticipate other people having the same problem. Stringently following the guide did not work for me. Using the exact settings in my panel did (literally connected within 2-4 hours)

Archived