Charging a percentage fee on orders paid with card

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://mintcreekfarm.com

Our small farm recently switched to Squarespace Commerce.

Our sales channels are Squarespace Commerce on our website and Squarespace POS (at farmer's markets).

I would like to pass on the cost of merchant processing to our customers by adding a 3% card processing charge on the (pre-tax) total of all orders that have payment processed through Stripe, PayPal, and Square (which we only use via Squarespace POS).

So, is there a way we could implement a 3% automatic charge on all sales before tax, that could be easily removed for a given order (for example, when we're doing a Squarespace POS cash sale)?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, hope someone could help me. In Stripe, how do you pass through your Stripe transaction fees to your customers? Stripe charges in the total transaction fee, which in my case will include shipping. If my shop is set up to calculate shipping fees via weight, then how will I take Stripe fees into account? It would be easier if I were charging a flat shipping fee, but I don't. Appreciate all the help!

• Solution
On 10/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, mrszorak44 said:

In Stripe, how do you pass through your Stripe transaction fees to your customers?

You cannot impose charges specifically for electronic payment services. In fact, in many countries it is illegal to do this. Transaction fees should be considered general business operating costs and absorbed into your general pricing, not added at the checkout. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...