help with switching a live site on a 7.0 template to 7.1

Hi! I am super confused about switching a website from a 7.0 template to 7.1. 

I created my website a couple of weeks ago, I *guess* in v7.0. This morning. I started a new trial to experiment with a new template, and I *guess* that one is from v7.1? (I am saying *guess* b/c I was given no indication that anything was different, and I selected a template per usual. My assumption would have been that if 7.1 was so dif from 7.0, there should have been some kind of alert, but there was not.) 

My issue is, I would like to switch my live, paid subscription website from the current template (7.0) to the new template (7.1). The domain name would stay the same, I just want to switch the template. I keep reading on here that there are no templates in v7.1, but I know that I selected something this morning! I have already contacted customer care and the person said they could not help me and sent me a dead link (not helpful.) 

Any advice on how to proceed? I have read through online documentation on the Squarespace site and nothing seems applicable to my situation. 

Thanks in advance! jenn. 

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @jennwright2020

Unfortunately you can't 'switch' between 7.0 and 7.1. It would require building the site from scratch in 7.1 and cancelling your 7.0 subscription. 

Send me a message if you'd like me to look into your sites to make sure one is 7.0 and the other is 7.1 and to provide further advice! 

Squarespace Developer based in Hampshire, England

If you'd like to make a contribution for my time you can Buy Me A Coffee.

In regards to people saying 7.1 has no templates. They are technically correct. 

On Squarespace 7.0 choosing between templates was very important as the template you chose limited the styling options for your site. 

On 7.1 even though you can choose between 'templates' when you initially start your site all of these templates have the exact same functionality, so you aren't limiting yourself at all with your choice. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, spaziosquadrato said:

Then what differentiates them? Why even call them templates, then?

It would be to give people inspiration and something to work from. They can keep the layout and just edit the content. 

Personally I remove all of the 'demo' content and start from a blank slate for each of my client's sites. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

yes there are so many ways to switch a website from one template to the other like you can see here on this blog so many guidance tricks are available that are easier and short in process.

• 4 weeks later...

There is currently no way for you to switch between versions 7.0 and 7.1. You would need to rebuild the site in 7.1 and cancel your subscription in 7.0.

Archived