Digital Products over 300mb in size. Is there a workaround???

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution

On Squarespace, the file size limit for digital products is 300MB. If you are using Squarespace's Commerce features, the only workaround is to host your large files securely on another platform that supports larger files. This is obviously not ideal, but I'd prefer to suggest a workaround than simply tell you it cannot be done. If you use this method, you can create a simple text file such as "readme.txt" that contains the URL for the file and the password (if required). You can then upload this small text file to Squarespace as the "digital file" instead of the "product". For example, Google Drive lets you upload files up to 5TB in size.

If you have lots of digital products, you may prefer to:

• integrate Shopify Buy Buttons into your Squarespace site, instead of using Squarespace's built-in commerce features. Shopify supports digital products up to 5GB in size, and allows you to limit the number of times a customer can download a digital product.
  • integrate Ecwid Buy Buttons into your Squarespace site. Ecwid supports digital products up to 25GB in size.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone - 

I just encountered the same problem and found a couple solutions that may work for some of you.

If you need to reduce video files, one program you can use is Handbrake. This is a free video-compression program for both Windows and Mac, and it's amazing at reducing file size without reducing quality. The resulting videos look exactly the same as their originals. Here's a video walk-through of working with handbrake, including which settings to use, where it exports to, etc: https://youtu.be/nnipCQPd0fw

Second is a website called https://www.freeconvert.com/ which offers a bunch of file-compression tools to reduce file sizes of almost any kind of media (videos, audio files, pdfs, jpegs, etc.). On their website under Tools > File Compressors, you'll find all the file types you can compress.

If you need to compress videos like I did, in the Video Compressor tool (https://www.freeconvert.com/video-compressor) they allow you to define the target output size (in our case, 300MB), and not only did it work like a charm (my video went from 606MB to 287MB), the video quality also looks great to me - honestly can't tell the difference between the original and the compressed one).

I think you can do a lot on their site for free (e.g. I was able to compress 5 x 600MB+ videos for free), and if you need to do more it's only $9 (for a 1-month subscription).

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 12.21.58 PM.png

@jaiabird

+1 for Handbrake. I've used that app and it works well.

Also if you can handle hard core command line Un*x tools then you can install ffmpeg on macOS. Don't know about that on Windows. Lots of examples on the web for various conversions with ffmpeg. I used MacPorts to install ffmpeg on my Mac. MacPorts is also fantastic by the way. I use ffmpeg to convert my QuickTime screen recording .mov files to .mp4. for a substantial reduction.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With all the competitors I’m really shocked that there is no plan to up the digital product file size limit, even a little bit. My record label is pulling heavily toward selling downloads of all the live streaming performances that happened during quarantine. What is the deal? Is it time to migrate my entire site?? 
been selling physical merchandise on SQsp for 2 years. Help!?

Please raise the limit!?!

• 3 weeks later...

Our busines relies solely on selling digital products... It is just so ridiculous, that there is a limit to 300mb. We are in Audio Production and obviously sample packs, plugins & co easily exceed 300mb. In other businesses, be it photography or video, 300mb is even faster exceeded. 

Handbrake is a compressing tool - but we are not selling compromised content, thats nuts.

It's so sad to see that a company with such beautiful templates, good service and everything is just not able to add ONE FEATURE - because of that we unfortunately had to leave Squarespace to Shopify (after testing many other ones for our desired features).

Is there even some kind of ligical explenation why it's 300mb?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After few years full of adventures we were extremely happy we found Squarespace!
We did the site easily, uploaded many of our products etc until.... DUH!!!!
We can't upload many of our products as they are more than 300mb.
Shocked. 
Spent a happy month building a website that runs smooth and looks wonderful only to discover that the very same platform is sending us to Shopify... We will go. Sad for the wasted time and for leaving your nice platform just for a silly reason.

Edited by HHR
  • 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, EmmaSparrow said:

Please adjust to 2 GB as others have suggested

To make a feature request, please contact Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket. Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feedback (see the guidelines - item 6).

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...

Please help! I have a 6 GB video I want to sell on my Squarespace website. I just have no idea how to do this. I read the instructions to upload the file to Google drive and then make a txt file to upload as the "digital file" which links to the actual file.

How and where do I make a txt file? How do I do this to link to a google drive file? Isn't txt just for text files? I have a video file, so will txt even work to link to a video file in Google Drive? I'm so confounded.

How do I sell my 6GB video on Squarespace?

Please, please help!

Edited by StephanyS
  • 1 month later...

300Mb file size limit is ridiculous in this day and age. Squarespace please increase it. 

@paul2009 the text file idea means that anyone who downloaded could share the link/pswrd combo which is obv not ideal.

Linking people off to another e-com solution is kind of insane.

1 hour ago, Hobsby said:

the text file idea means that anyone who downloaded could share the link/pswrd combo which is obv not ideal.

I agree but sadly the same is true for any digital product, even those that are less than 300MB and sold directly on Squarespace. We can only remind customers about copyright law and encourage them not to share their purchases. There are no technical controls that can prevent a purchaser from downloading their digital file and then re-upload it to a hosting service (such as Google Drive) where it can be shared online.

Like you, I would prefer Squarespace to increase the file limit to something more realistic but I've been asking for this since 2013 (nine years!) but it has yet to be increased.

Edited by paul2009

• 5 months later...

Agree that 300mb is way too small 😞

However I have found a better workaround than a readme file.

I host my digital product files in AWS S3 so that the directories/buckets cannot be listed. But the files have read permission so they can be downloded.

Then for my digital product file I use a .url file with the following contents:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=URL/Address/to/S3/file.zip

When the customer clicks the .url file it will download the zip containing the real product from s3.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm a digital artist setting up my shop to sell some of my assets and content. However, I've run into a wall with how small the max file size is for digital products. 300mb is nothing in todays day and age. It is by far the lowest out of any of the major commerce platforms. We pay good money for Squarespace and they claim to be an all in one commerce platform but lack major functionality, this being one of the big ones.

What makes it even more ridiculous is that this forum itself has a max total attachment size of 50mb. The fact that you can only sell digital products that are only up to 6x larger than an attachment to a forum post is crazy to me.

This absurd limit on the digital product file sizes needs to be lifted to at least 5GB. 300mb is borderline useless.

This is also not something that requires development time so I don't see why they can't roll it out this very month.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

To those still holding on to Squarespace just don't. I personally ended up switching to wix. They offer more space, bigger file sizes for digital products, member areas built in, a lot more video time, and a ton of analytics for your sales.

Is it perfect? No

But considering the alternative which is not being able to sell your products at all, it's the best solution possible. If Squarespace decides to lift these incredibly limiting features I might consider switching back to Squarespace but for now, it's Wix all the way!    

On 10/15/2022 at 6:37 AM, paul2009 said:

I agree but sadly the same is true for any digital product, even those that are less than 300MB and sold directly on Squarespace. We can only remind customers about copyright law and encourage them not to share their purchases. There are no technical controls that can prevent a purchaser from downloading their digital file and then re-upload it to a hosting service (such as Google Drive) where it can be shared online.

Like you, I would prefer Squarespace to increase the file limit to something more realistic but I've been asking for this since 2013 (nine years!) but it has yet to be increased.

I don't see a dedicated area in the "contact us" drop down menu to actually request a feature? It just directs me to various help pages

4 hours ago, krodriguez said:

I don't see a dedicated area in the "contact us" drop down menu to actually request a feature? It just directs me to various help pages

Please see how to contact Squarespace.

• 1 month later...