Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

how to add variants without going over stock?

leahsachiko

I'm making a website for the masks i've been sewing. I usually start out with the ability to sew 10 masks per fabric choice, in a choice of four sizes, with three loop style options. obviously the number of variations that can be created from the product variants is greater than my stock. how do i create my listings in order to offer my customers all the necessary variations without over-selling my stock?

Edited by leahsachiko
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the price is the same for each option, you can use a custom product form to capture the options instead of variants. You can then have one product and set the stock level to match your requirements. 

sf-digital-signature-logo-email145.png.46606a2288a2847f44d81b9b7b58f3a5.png
Hi! I'm Paul, an independent Squarespace Consultant since 2007 and founder of SF Digital, building the features that Squarespace didn't include. Our mini-extensions allow you to pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect . Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

Hi Paul, I have a similar question, but the price is not the same for each option. I'm selling kits with the option to have one element premade by me, which adds to the cost. I have been using variants but that means I have to watch the inventory like a hawk and try to balance it after every order.

The variants were, 'I'll make the beads ($20)' or 'I want premade beads ($32)'. It was easy for customers but kind of a nightmare for me, as I am doing very small batches that sell out in a day. I go crazy trying to avoid overselling!

I tried 'add premade beads' as an option to add to an order, but then somebody just bought the added product without the main one. Is there a way to have variants draw from the same inventory count? Or to choose an item and then choose the type, with price add-on?

Thanks to you or anyone who has a suggestion!

Cheers,

Kim

35 minutes ago, KimVanAntwerp said:

I'm selling kits with the option to have one element premade by me, which adds to the cost. I have been using variants but that means I have to watch the inventory like a hawk and try to balance it after every order. I tried 'add premade beads' as an option to add to an order, but then somebody just bought the added product without the main one. 

I completely understand. It can be a real challenge. 

There is a solution for this now, but it's not a "no-cost" option as it involves paying for a third-party service called Trunk inventory. Their service costs from $29 per month, but it can sync inventory across your site instantly, ensuring that you do not oversell.

One workaround is to display the add-on element as a separate product. You said yo'd tried this but had issues with someone buying it on its own. That's not great! I tried to take a look at the product to see if I could offer any additional advice, but I couldn't see it. However, as general advice I would suggest that you only show the 'Add to Cart' button for this add-on product when someone has added the main product to their cart. Also, if the add-on has a low cost, you could set a minimum checkout value so that customers cannot purchase add-ons only.

I hope this helps.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

Hi! I'm Paul, an independent Squarespace Consultant since 2007 and founder of SF Digital, building the features that Squarespace didn't include. Our mini-extensions allow you to pick dates in any format, show prices in other currencies, take orders without payment or improve your cartI value honesty, integrity, transparency and respect . Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

• 4 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:44 AM, paul2009 said:

I completely understand. It can be a real challenge. 

One workaround is to display the add-on element as a separate product. You said yo'd tried this but had issues with someone buying it on its own. That's not great! I tried to take a look at the product to see if I could offer any additional advice, but I couldn't see it. However, as general advice I would suggest that you only show the 'Add to Cart' button for this add-on product when someone has added the main product to their cart. Also, if the add-on has a low cost, you could set a minimum checkout value so that customers cannot purchase add-ons only.

I hope this helps.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

Hi Paul, 
How does one go about keeping the add to cart button from showing on the extra product until the main product has been added to cart?

Have the same issue, decided to display add-on elements as separate products, really hope we can find a way to "only show the 'Add to Cart' button for this add-on product when someone has added the main product to their cart.".

Thanks

15 hours ago, bobbykimani said:

How does one go about keeping the add to cart button from showing on the extra product until the main product has been added to cart?

To help you with a coding question, we need to be able to view the page on your website. Please post a working link to the page on your site so that we can take a look.

• The url will end with .squarespace.com.
  • Do not include the /config/ element.
  • If your site isn't live yet, we will only be able to use the link if you set a public password and tell us what it is. Adding a password won't affect the security of the site, but will enable the community to view the site.