FTP

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, JennyPig said:

Hello, my marketing person is asking for my FTP info.

16 hours ago, tuanphan said:

You need to enable Developer Mode to get this. (read carefully the guide)

I echo Tuan's comments about reading the guide carefully before enabling Developer Mode. Unless you are a Software Developer who needs this level of access, I strongly advise against enabling it. I say this as a Developer myself. 

I don't want to concern you unnecessarily, but now that you've turned on Developer Mode, your site's template will no longer receive updates from Squarespace. 

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you ask your marketing person why they want FTP access to a Squarespace site. It's a very unusual request and unlikely to be necessary.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, AirionJ said:

Is there no way to disable developer mode after you've turned it on?

Yes. You can toggle it off, but there are consequences if you’ve made changes to the site whilst it was on. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 10/21/2020 at 8:33 AM, JPWilkinson said:

I needed FTP access to upload a logo into the storage for an HTML email signature and needed somewhere to link to... 

You can do that with custom files in Custom CSS or you can create a file catalog with a page in he unlinked section of your site. . You create one and make a button that says "files" or whatever,  and that gives you access to the file manager where you upload with links. You can password the page and all files can be linked and downloaded from there as well, logos pdfs, all kinds of things. 

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, draupnir said:

Does enabling developer mode allow you to add files to .well-known/ ?

Can you explain what you mean?

2 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Can you explain what you mean?

Yes, I need access to my squarespace's site root public_html/ folder

I need to do to things:

1. add a .toml file to public_html/.well-known/somefilename.toml  (need to add a .well-known folder if one does not exist)

2. I need to add/edit a .htaccess file or in some other way enable CORS so people can access the toml file from other sites.

https://developers.stellar.org/docs/issuing-assets/publishing-asset-info/

I paid for a year with squarespace and I really like the solution. But now I'm thinking I maybe just should have gone with something like nextjs.

Squarespace is a serverless web builder - there's no server to access. This means that when Developer Mode is enabled, although you can use FTP to create folders and then files within these folders, you cannot access a root folder. It sounds as though you need a proper web server where you can have more control.

36 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Squarespace is a serverless web builder - there's no server to access. This means that when Developer Mode is enabled, although you can use FTP to create folders and then files within these folders, you cannot access a root folder. It sounds as though you need a proper web server where you can have more control.

Thank you for the answer!

I've contacted Squarespace to see if I can get a refund for the 1 year subscription. I've decided to build and host the website myself.

Archived