Squarespace ecommerce limitations/missing

For customer continuity experience, I have consolidated my Squarespace & Shopify site into just Squarespace. I'm hitting up against some important lost features which I extremely surprised are missing, but I wanted to check it's not just me.

• Abandoned carts: it does not appear possible to see who left their cart & the products they had in their cart upon abandonment. 
  • Barcode scanning seems limited only to barcodes? No QR code support? Really?
  • Pricing shipping is difficult with such limited options. I was able to price shipping previously such as (example): $15 for a product then $2 for each additional product added. Now I am forced into either free shipping OR weight based shipping. Or for particular individual products which fell out of a standard shipping calcs, I was able to set a Home country:Everywhere else option / one-off freight option for a product.
  • eCommerce tracking with Google Analytics does not seem possible??

I'm experiencing a fairly dramatic drop in revenue since the transition with high cart abandonment - part of this is likely caused by some kind of bug in the Foster template which hides the cart icon on mobile, which I am currently trying to resolve.

Nick

Edited by Nickrj
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, LeoDev said:

Are you considering going back to Shopify ?

Honestly, I want to - however - I really don't want to separate the main site from the shop - I want it all nicely integrated, and the design and overall functionality of Squarespace is much better than Shopify, however the ecommerce capabilities of Shopify are much better than Squarespace... So it's a conundrum!

On 9/25/2020 at 10:28 PM, Nickrj said:

Pricing shipping is difficult with such limited options. I was able to price shipping previously such as (example): $15 for a product then $2 for each additional product added.

Does this do want you want?

185556253_ScreenShot2020-10-04at3_58_56PM.png.672fe687a307110a50f613f7adad4681.png

I realize it's a different mental model than some of the other e-commerce sites. Theirs is...

first product - $15

second product - $2

etc...

SS is...

order - $13

first product - $2

second product - $2

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, rickdixon2010 said:

How are you scanning barcodes? 

You can scan shipping label barcodes using the Squarespace App.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Nickrj Squarespace nor Google makes Google Analytics ecommerce tracking easy 🤦🏾--but it is possible!

I was struggling with this same problem, and recently figured out how to implement GA4 ecommerce tracking on my website.

Now I'm able to measure how many people view my products, select a item, add to cart, remove from cart, begin checkout, and make a purchase in GA4:

Analytics_Purchasejourney-ga4.thumb.png.a95632a908c6e3908040609fecb75487.png

ecommerce-purchase-journey-ga4-exploration-report.thumb.png.78d3d8d061ff61ce02cf64c5f0122b4a.png

To make it easier for other Squarespace users, I created a GitHub repo for folks to simply copy and paste the code into their own Google Tag Manager containers: https://www.tayloreddata.com/blog/how-to-track-ga4-ecommerce-events-on-your-squarespace-website. Feel free to use this code on your own website, but since this is custom code, please test and ensure it works for your website 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by TayloredData

Data Nerd 🧑🏾‍💻|  I help businesses transform data into actionable insights & sales | Chat with me about your website + marketing analytics challenges: TayloredData.com

Prefer video tutorials? Check out my latest marketing and web analytics how to videos