Disabling Portfolio Project Pages in Squarespace Version 7.1

Go to solution Solved by Chris.SE,

I've run into a bit of an issue with hiding individual collection pages in Squarespace 7.1. Normally, by clicking on the settings for a page, you are able to enable or disable that page. However with the new system of "Portfolio Collections" that page disable option does not exist for individual portfolio project pages. I may be mistaken, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to hide these pages (screenshots attached for reference). 

This is incredibly troubling as you cannot create drafts of projects, nor if you are duplicating other projects, they will be live with duplicate content until you fix it. 

I was thinking possibly that you could move collection pages to other collection pages(in the way you can move products from shop to shop), so in essence you could pre-build the portfolio page on a hidden portfolio collection and move it to the live portfolio collection, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this either.

Any advice on how I could make hidden pages in the existing Portfolio Collection system or is this just a fault in the new version?

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.03.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.03.27 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

I am experiencing the exact same problem and for the same reasons. I dislike how the content being actively worked on for my site is live the whole time. Just looks sloppy on my part even though there isn't anything I can do about it other than consider alternative templates or platforms.

Another issue I have that is related to this problem is there doesn't appear to be a way to password protect individual pages within the portfolio folder either. This would be useful so that I could lock down content for specific pages that might have projects under NDA (among other reasons).

Edited by Erikthered
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had the same problem. There are no settings currently to be able to do this which is fairly annoying. There is however a workaround so you can have a live portfolio page. On the portfolio you want to do this:

Go to Portfolio Settings -> Advanced -> Add the following code to the page header injection.

<style>
  a[href="/portfolio/page-url"] { display: none; }
</style>

The page URL can be found by right clicking and inspect on the portfolio tile and looking at the code. Note it does not include your website url.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ideal would be to make it possible to move projects among different portfolios. That way:

1. I can create a portfolio (X) that holds my "template" for projects
  2. I can hide Portfolio X so that it's not visible to the public, only to admins
  3. I can create projects in Portfolio X and then move them to a live portfolio when ready.

As it stands, looks like I'll have to use @mforny 's solution...but I'll have to create a different template in each portfolio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

to add onto this thread, i have tried using this method of hiding the portfolio project (the above bit of code worked for me), but basically you will see gaps in the grid where your projects used to be when your project is successfully hidden.

to solve that, i reorganized the projects and dragged the ones i hid to the bottom, but this just gathers all the hidden projects together and looks like you have a ton of white space beneath the grid of visible projects. this is especially apparent when you have 1 row's worth of images hidden (it looks like a super super big footer).

it seems that the portfolio grid doesn't recognize that those projects aren't visible anymore and stays the same height as if they were still visible. any ideas on how i could solve for this?

Edited by dsgnrdsgnr
16 hours ago, dsgnrdsgnr said:

to add onto this thread, i have tried using this method of hiding the portfolio project (the above bit of code worked for me), but basically you will see gaps in the grid where your projects used to be when your project is successfully hidden.

to solve that, i reorganized the projects and dragged the ones i hid to the bottom, but this just gathers all the hidden projects together and looks like you have a ton of white space beneath the grid of visible projects. this is especially apparent when you have 1 row's worth of images hidden (it looks like a super super big footer).

it seems that the portfolio grid doesn't recognize that those projects aren't visible anymore and stays the same height as if they were still visible. any ideas on how i could solve for this?

You can try using JavaScript to remove. It won't create gap

I solved simiar case for a client last week.

If you share link to your site, I can take a look.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 11:17 PM, NestofSpies said:

Hi, I am frustrated with this also. Question, did you upgrade to a Business or Commerce plan to be able to use this code? 

<style>
</style>

You can add to Home > design > Custom CSS, with Personal/Trial Plan

Edited by tuanphan

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Jo_SQSP locked this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • SpencerC unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

This is super frustrating! like mentioned above, building a project page takes even longer than a normal page to build and should be hidden until it is ready to be live. I really hope this can be addressed soon Sqaurespace and at the meantime we're all "locked" in this painful experience. what am I suppose to do at the meantime? how come older versions like 7.0 has it while I don't? and how do I switch to this older version if i wish without damaging everything I built?

Seconding this issue. A portfolio/project page takes time to create and curate. Having it go live as soon as it's created is unacceptable. The solution linked above by Jo_G does not work for this use case. I don't want to password protect my entire Portfolio collection, just the 1 new item that I'm adding to the existing collection.

Currently it looks like it's impossible to hide / password protect an individual collection item without resorting to CSS hacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  I am a new user.  I was pretty surprised to see that there is no draft mode on projects, which means a work-around, which isn't great, although I will have another chance to double-check my work... so I will reframe it as a review process I guess.  I really hope the next update will bring a draft mode and / or ability to move projects between portfolios.  It makes no sense to me why there wouldn't be a draft mode of projects, unless I am making my website in the wrong place (not being negative, just genuinely curious).  What is the typical context of a project in Squarespace?  This is a potential deal-breaker.  There are some functions that are common sense.  This makes me wonder what is happening in the project teams... Anyway, any tips are appreciated.  I guess I'll research some code solutions and workarounds and hope this is fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So freaking mad because I am re-branding and I didn’t realize that when I chose a new template for the new site that it’s a portfolio site. I don’t work for Squarespace. How the eff and I supposed to know that? There’s literally nothing that tells you that’s a differently formatted site where you can’t delete that portion off the home page and just call it a day. Hopefully I can quickly recreate the extremely custom home page I’ve been working on for three days on another page and make it the home page and shove the portfolio one down the unlinked pages tube.

Edited by biggiesmalls

To disable draft project page, follow this

First, add this code to Design > Custom CSS

/* Hide Draft Portfolio */
div.portfolio-grid-basic .grid-item[href*="draft"] {
    display: none;
}

Next, Edit Project >> Add this into URL: draft

Assuming project has url is  /artists/dawn-waters-bake
change it to  /artists/dawn-waters-bake-draft
Above code will hide all projects whose urls contain text “draft” in portfolio page

Or send to forum message

Having this same issue. Basically can't add a draft project, or hide a project without deleting it?!  Any new project I add is immediately available to view (even if it's still a draft) unless I hide my entire portfolio. Can't believe this still hasn't been resolved.  It's a major oversite for a template that's supposedly made for portfolios.  Disappointed but not surprised bc I've found the UX to be bad overall on Squarespace.  

Also tried some of the custom coding suggestions, but didn't have any luck.

23 minutes ago, hch said:

Having this same issue. Basically can't add a draft project, or hide a project without deleting it?!  Any new project I add is immediately available to view (even if it's still a draft) unless I hide my entire portfolio. Can't believe this still hasn't been resolved.  It's a major oversite for a template that's supposedly made for portfolios.  Disappointed but not surprised bc I've found the UX to be bad overall on Squarespace.  

Also tried some of the custom coding suggestions, but didn't have any luck.

Try the guide I commented above. I solved this for some members yesterday

Or send to forum message