Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

I'm sure someone from Squarespace will tell me that as a platform, Google treats them differently than the rest of the world - or that in fact, SS is 'special'. 

Google not to long ago released Core Web Vitals. They have a good explanation of what this is here: https://web.dev/vitals/ 

Don't be fooled, web.dev is Google, not some third party. 

Guess what, Google doesn't treat Squarespace any different from any other website - whether it uses custom Javascript, PhP, Asp.net or other code vs. a builder CMS like SS, Wix, Weebly. They are all the same in the eyes of Google.

So what does this chart below say about this domain? It says that the pages are slow and not built very well. That's what it says. What's the main issue? The website is as slow as a dog. 24 seconds to be interactive. Google's goal is 3-4 seconds. 

The main issue? Way too much CSS, way too much CSS that isn't even used. Way too much JS that isn't even used. 

Oh and a CMS that doesn't automatically compress images or defer loading of those below the fold.  All of which are pretty common.

Any thoughts here?

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 7.40.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 7.49.39 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My thoughts are that Squarespace needs to take this seriously, or else people may jump ship to another web builder. Since we have absolutely no control over these things to optimize performance, this may push people to start looking elsewhere. Hopefully they are planning on addressing this in a new version of Squarespace, such as 7.2 or 8. It's frustrating because for all of the great features within Squarespace, the beautiful templates and user-friendliness of the platform, there are several areas Squarespace ignores or drops the ball. In the years I've been using the platform, as an example, I don't remember any updates to the Form block functionality, even after other platforms such as TypeForm revolutionized web forms. But Core Web Vitals is the type of "con" to weigh so heavily, with no solution for optimizing performance, it may push even the most ardent supporters of Squarespace to look at other platforms. The first competitor to address this could see a lot of new subscribers, so hopefully it's something Squarespace doesn't just ignore, as there is a huge opportunity for them to steal people away from their competitors, rather than lose them.