• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Accessibility in 7.1

CH1

Question

Hey all, 

I am currently finishing up a site for a client and the page needs to be able to be tabbed through and read by a text to speech program. The issue I am running into (and the folks running the audit) is that none of the text content is able to accessed by tabbing - which prevents the reader from reading the text out loud. 

I know that wrapping the content with  <div tab index ="0"> content </div> in a code or markup box will make the text tab-able, but unfortunately this means that all site content will have to be added via code or markup box, which defeats the reason for building a squarespace site (so the client can easily edit content.)

Is there a way to add this with custom css by targeting all text blocks, a plugin, or am I missing something stupidly simple? 

TA!

Edited by CH1
  • Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hey @CH1,

What kind of "text to speech" program are you using? Screen readers (which visually impaired people use to announce site content), such as the widely-used JAWS, should be able to announce text without needing to use tab navigation.

Adding a tabindex value is more applicable for buttons, links, and other interactive elements that a keyboard navigation user would use the tab key to access.

If you're looking for additional accessibility help, feel free to send me a DM or check out the free accessibility audit tool linked in my signature below.

Hope this helps!
-Tyler

There were 3550 lawsuits last year against websites that were inaccessible to people with disabilities. Is your Squarespace site ADA compliant? Find out in 60 seconds with our free accessibility audit