Styling "Pay by Credit Card" Text

Hi

Is there a way to change the appearance of the "or check out with credit card" text on the checkout page? It is very small & very light, and extremely unclear on mobile. Even if the customer does see it, it doesn't look like either a link or a button. So usability is very poor IMO.

The impression given is that only Apply Pay is accepted, which could lead to abandoned carts. See below. Many thanks.

1909479670_IMG_43692.jpg.e188dbe9671a6147a6e00d1002f59477.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Views 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, sussexseamstress0603 said:

Is there a way to change the appearance of the "or check out with credit card" text on the checkout page? The impression given is that only Apply Pay is accepted, which could lead to abandoned carts.

No, you cannot change this because the checkout page is completely locked down to maintain payment security. 

However, I don’t agree that this UI will lead to abandoned carts. In fact, from research the reverse is more likely to be true; it will increase conversion. Apple Pay will only appear if the customer has an Apple Pay enabled device and, once enabled, all the customer has to do is tap their finger on the Touch ID scanner or look at the Face ID scanner to complete their purchase —no more searching through their wallet/bag for the right card, no more typing in expiration dates or security codes. If you prefer not to accept Apple Pay, you can disable it in the checkout settings.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks for your help, Paul. I understand your point, and that's helpful to know. Since writing this I actually tried adding PayPal as an option to see if that would improve things. I was expecting to see a Pay with PayPal logo or button, just as I see the Apple Pay button - however, all it does is adds "or PayPal" to the tiny text - no PayPal button or logo. So, although I understand your point & agree that it may not affect check-out as badly as I anticipated, I still regard this as poor usability, i.e. tiny, faded text that doesn't look like an interactive element of the page. 

Archived