Required Terms & Conditions acceptance

Site URL: https://www.aulddistillery.co.nz/auld-store/harvest-cask

Hi, we're getting this product set up for a new distillery in New Zealand. Their first product is a cask of whisky. There's a whole heap of terms and conditions that need to agreed to before purchase, but there doesn't seem to be a way to say anything like "by agreeing to this purchase I agree to all the terms and conditions". Or a click box to agree and then be allowed to purchase. Is there anyway to add that functionality.

Thanks

Jamie

7 hours ago, Immisc said:

Is there anyway to add that functionality.

Yes. Add it in a Custom Checkout Form

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, sleeping-bunnies said:

When adding an html link to the terms page in the checkbox field description, it looks ok on the preview, but 'live' the code is converted into plain text.

There isn't a perfect solution that will allow you to add your terms of service to the checkout page and require customers to click a checkbox to accept them. You can:

• Use a Custom Checkout Form to add a checkbox and (to quote the original post) add a message saying "by agreeing to this purchase I agree to all the terms and conditions".  However, you won't be able to link back to the terms of service because you cannot add HTML to the checkout. 
  • Add a link to your terms of service (and your privacy and returns policies) on the "Review & Purchase" stage of the checkout page, but it will not require customers to explicitly accept them by completing a checkbox. For example:

squarespace-checkout-accept-terms-of-service.png.9aaecdc63464f7b66e17c81967245c2c.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, DASHservices said:

Can you explain how to edit the "Review and Purchase" part of the checkout process?

In the Home Menu, click Commerce, then click Checkout.

Click Checkout Page: Store Policies to add any of these policies:

• Return Policy
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy

After filling in these fields, your checkout page will have links that open these policies in a pop-up window. 

For more checkout settings, see this help article.

• 10 months later...

This is another unfortunate example of things that are problematic and/or not logical about Squarespace commerce. My client wants her customers to agree to terms in order to complete the purchase. I was only able to add a required yes/no to the agreement at checkout, but if someone clicks "no," they can still check out.

Also, the store policies are not visible at checkout until *after* a person puts in their payment information. They  need to be visible on the checkout page at all times, especially because the links to those things from the actual website (i.e., in the footer) are not accessible from the checkout page.

I've read many recommendations that if you are planning a larger store, definitely don't use Squarespace. But I've so far only worked on sites with very limited offerings, and I'm still always stumbling onto needed features that are absent or deeply flawed. 

16 minutes ago, jjnj said:

My client wants her customers to agree to terms in order to complete the purchase. I was only able to add a required yes/no to the agreement at checkout, but if someone clicks "no," they can still check out.

You can achieve this with a single 'I agree....' checkbox that is set to 'required'.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 6:10 AM, paul2009 said:

You can achieve this with a single 'I agree....' checkbox that is set to 'required'.

Hi Paul,

I have been using your work around for my website. It works, but I want to make it more intuitive. I do not what a check box, but merely a disclaimer saying something along the line that 'You agree to the terms and conditions when placing the order', therefore a checkbox no longer required. I could not find any way to have this feature at the check out. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
D

21 hours ago, Dilon said:

I do not [want] a check box, but merely a disclaimer

You can use a “Line” field to add a block of text. 

• 2 months later...