I Can't Move Products Between Store Pages

This is something I may feel really dumb about if someone points it out but I simply can't seem to find out how to move Products from one Store to another since the update to the store I got today.

I used to go to the product information on the product page and on the bottom was a "Move" button but now it's gone along with the other buttons. The other functions are now in a "..." menu by each product to move to top of bottom, Edit or Delete but nothing to move between pages. This is also still what the HELP page for suqarespace still says.

I would love for someone to point out my idiocy quickly so I can get sorted with my imported products but I'm starting to think They're somehow missed adding that function to the update.

I just contacted support as this is a feature I really need to develop my website...I didn't get a helpful answer except they took the ability to move products between pages away and she passed my feedback along to the development team. 😔 See convo below:

Alright it looks like your site has been created on version 7.1 of our platform which has a newer Products Page. At this point in time it's not possible to move products between pages so they'll have to be re-created from scratch or changes by exporting and then importing your products. In the meantime what I can do is submit this as a feature request to our Development Team for you. We can't guarantee that each suggestion will be implemented, but each one is reviewed by the team and we do appreciate the feedback.
I'm confused though... I was on 7.1 just a couple days ago and was able to duplicate the items, edit them and then change the store pages.
Katherine S.
That's correct, the update to the Products Page doesn't include the option to move products between pages at this point in time.
Any idea when this will be put back into effect? This is the only manageable way to get my products set up without spending weeks setting everything up...
Katherine S.
No but I have passed along your feedback as a feature request to our Development team.

Although not as convenient it is possible to use the export/import feature to achieve a similar end result.

Go to Commerce > Inventory.

Using the search feature, enter the URL SLUG for the Store from which you want to move items.

2002803660_ScreenShot2020-08-27at1_12_36PM.thumb.png.c8f3237f9e0ea68b4fa154ab982fc6b4.png

The list should now be showing only items from, in this case, store-2 (ignore the forward slash shown in pics, my mistake).

Select which items you want to move and click the Export Selected button.

49003512_ScreenShot2020-08-27at1_19_21PM.thumb.png.65df5084bb72ec0f9971af803a94f65e.png

A CSV file will download to your computer.

Edit the CSV file. Remove the Product and Variant IDs. Change the Product Page to the Store URL SLUG where you want to move the items. Do this for each item.

176712694_ScreenShot2020-08-27at1_30_00PM.png.a48c0c19848514a8ebe38194999c1f72.png

Go to Commerce > Inventory. Click on IMPORT and import the CSV file.

If all went well the items should now be in their destination Store. Make sure the imported items are OK.

At this point you can clean up. You could delete the Store Page from which the product items came or the items within. Whichever works for your needs.

If you need to work with a subset of the items in your source Store Page then things get a little trickier. You could use a Tag to target the items to be moved. Then put the tag in the Inventory search.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Hi Creedon!

I need to move some items between my store pages and have unfortunately updated my squarespace and am having the problem you are solving. I understand the first half of your explanation, but not the second half. Will you send more pictures or break it down even more? Maybe even in a video? 

Thank you!

Rachel

Thank you so much, Creedon! That was really helpful!

Just a quick note for anyone doing that - a lot of data will be lost. I.E. Image metadata manually entered while setting up the product, image placement for thumbnail image and product listings, showing similar products and any forms. Make sure to check everything after the list is imported!

8 hours ago, BNDesigns said:

a lot of data will be lost

Good point.

Following are the fields of data that the CSV contains.

Product ID
Variant ID
Product Type
Product Page
Product URL
Title
Description
SKU
Option Name 1
Option Value 1
Option Name 2
Option Value 2
Option Name 3
Option Value 3
Price
Sale Price
On Sale
Stock
Categories
Tags
Weight
Length
Width
Height
Visible
Hosted Image URLs

As we can see it is missing a whole lot of meta information. 

SS has several support pages on exporting/importing. This is a good starting point Exporting products to a .csvhttps://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000694948-Exporting-products-to-a-csv >. Please read carefully to see if this process will work for your needs and test, test, test! Don't delete stuff until you are absolutely sure everything has gone as you want! 🙂

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

17 hours ago, untetheredplanet said:

I understand the first half of your explanation, but not the second half.

The later half of the explanation I assumed @BNDesigns has experience with the importing process and managing Stores so I was less explicit. Mainly I was describing that it is possible to search for products in a particular Store and export those.

Please read the more recent posts in this thread for caveats about this process. I posted a link about exporting. That leads to other docs about importing.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps SS viewed the move feature as not needed or a low priority as 7.1 Store pages now support 10,000 items.

It wouldn't hurt to contact customer support and let them know that you want a Store move feature for 7.1.

This is very inconvenient I had to create multiple stores over 10 for each category because 1 shop page limited it to 2,000 products. Now I can't freely move the products back under 1 store because the feature is gone and the spreadsheet method isn't working for me. It also has removed some CSS I've had in place before. 

• 2 weeks later...

The feature has now been restored. You can move products between store pages again. 

move-product-prod-collection2.png.9bd1cc02c013d4128dd32fcff265e2c9.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, genfoch01 said:

how do i move a product from one store to another ?

Go to the PAGES menu and click on the Store page that contains the product that you want to move. You can then click the product name to launch a context sensitive menu. One of the options on the menu is MOVE. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

For those not into the Un*x world!

curl is a tool to transfer data from or to a server, using one of the supported protocols (DICT, FILE, FTP, FTPS, GOPHER, HTTP, HTTPS,

IMAP, IMAPS, LDAP, LDAPS, MQTT, POP3, POP3S, RTMP, RTMPS, RTSP, SCP, SFTP, SMB, SMBS, SMTP, SMTPS, TELNET and TFTP).  The  command  is

designed to work without user interaction.

curl  offers a busload of useful tricks like proxy support, user authentication, FTP upload, HTTP post, SSL connections, cookies, file transfer resume, Metalink, and more. As you will see below, the number of features will make your head spin!

If your head is not spinning already. You macOS users out there, the base of your OS is a Un*x variant! 🙂

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, CritTqueDesigns said:

This is not working for me.  Will it only work on paid subscription or does it work for trial period also?

Products can be moved between Store pages during a trial period too. This guide explains the process in detail: Moving products between pages

Before posting, I followed the guide that you recommended but did not work.  That is why I posted here.  Don't know what I am doing. wrong.  When I press shift and click on item no pop up appears with options to move.  Or it immediately goes to another page.

This appears to be working correctly on other sites so I recommend that you contact Squarespace Customer Care as they can help you to troubleshoot this. The forum community cannot do this because we don't have access to the site.

Thank you for your response.  I'm going to just cancel the whole project.  Trying to get a response from Squarespace is like trying to pull a nail out of cement.  It is sad that after only a few days trying to set up the website that it is so frustrating.  Etsy makes it so easy that when trying to attempt to try others, theirs's are really complicated.  Again, thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, creedon said:

Although not as convenient it is possible to use the export/import feature to achieve a similar end result.

Go to Commerce > Inventory.

Using the search feature, enter the URL SLUG for the Store from which you want to move items.

2002803660_ScreenShot2020-08-27at1_12_36PM.thumb.png.c8f3237f9e0ea68b4fa154ab982fc6b4.png

The list should now be showing only items from, in this case, store-2 (ignore the forward slash shown in pics, my mistake).

Select which items you want to move and click the Export Selected button.

49003512_ScreenShot2020-08-27at1_19_21PM.thumb.png.65df5084bb72ec0f9971af803a94f65e.png

A CSV file will download to your computer.

Edit the CSV file. Remove the Product and Variant IDs. Change the Product Page to the Store URL SLUG where you want to move the items. Do this for each item.

176712694_ScreenShot2020-08-27at1_30_00PM.png.a48c0c19848514a8ebe38194999c1f72.png

Go to Commerce > Inventory. Click on IMPORT and import the CSV file.

If all went well the items should now be in their destination Store. Make sure the imported items are OK.

At this point you can clean up. You could delete the Store Page from which the product items came or the items within. Whichever works for your needs.

If you need to work with a subset of the items in your source Store Page then things get a little trickier. You could use a Tag to target the items to be moved. Then put the tag in the Inventory search.

Thank you! This saved mea ton of time!