Uploading and displaying images for complex variants

We're setting up a bunch of new products with very complex variants (height, width, and color). Each product will be using the full complement of 100 allowed variants, with images to match. We're having some trouble configuring upload and managing how images display.

Ideally, the variant selector will behave as follows:

1. Before a variant is selected, display a "main image" (or group of images)
  2. Display the specific variant image after variant is selected
  3. [Nice to have, but not necessary] display filtered variant images dynamically when configuring (e.g. when width is selected, only show variants of that width.)

On testing, it looks like the .csv importer links images by product, not by variant, and that we'll need to manually upload and link variant images. It also wants to display all variant images as thumbnails. So, I have 2 questions:

1. Is there some way to configure the uploader to assign linked images (under the "Hosted Image URLs" header) to variants?
  2. How can we limit which thumbnails are displayed, both before and after variants are selected?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I am also struggling with this. Sorry I can't help a lot but maybe it'll work for you. By adding a different image link in the CSV only on the top line of the new variant (for example colour blue has 3 different sizes, but only adding on the top row of the 'blues') *should* upload a separate image for when that variant is selected. I am trying to bulk upload 4000 products and don't want to manually add different colours of product. The spreadsheet annoyingly doesn't work properly for me when trying to do this, but I'll get onto customer support in the morning to see if they can help.

When I have downloaded the file (when doing a product manually) this helped understand Squarespace's way of doing it, but even when I do it it doesn't work. There may be a tiny bit of info in this under Hosted Image URLs: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039536971

Hope this helps, but apologies if not! If you know how to upload different images for different variables please let me know since I can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks!

Archived