Big issue with setting up shipping

Site URL: http://shop.chenebleu.com/

Password: SandraCB

URGENTLY need help or an answer to this please. @paul2009 you seem to have extensive knowledge on ecommerce.

As you will see we are selling wine and gift products. The major issue we are having is with how shipping costs are calculated. If the customer buys a bottle of wine and one or two gift items SQS adds the weight of all the items together and uses that as the cost. The only way we can see to combat this is to work out every single combination a customer could potentially buy and allocate a specific rate to that weight, but, this is impossible. A customer can order up to 97 bottles of wine so the combinations would be endless. 

Can anyone help?! This makes the whole ecommerce unworkable. 

Thanking you so much in advance! 

Sandra 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sandra

In the USA you'd be able to use automatic carrier-calculated shipping, but as this business is based in France, you cannot do this. Your options are limited to:

• Flat rate - A flat fee per order, plus an optional per-product fee
  • Rates by weight - Fees based on the total order weight
  • Free shipping - Include your shipping costs within the product prices

I couldn't find a page on the site where delivery options were described, so I wasn't able to understand if shipping is within France, Europe or international or whether they deliver themselves or use a courier. The T&Cs were unfortunately in a French PDF and so weren't easily translated. I'd recommend putting these on a standard page. 🙂

If they intend to use a shipping partner, I'd expect their partner to provide them with a pricing table by weight and delivery zone, like the example below. This information can then be added (manually) into the Shipping panel (Commerce > Shipping > Depending on Weight), converting zones into names countries.

shipping-rates-table-scheduled-day.thumb.png.d1ae69b3ee9981ee0aa93c7a2768a684.png

Alternatively, they may prefer to use Flat Rate Shipping, adding a fee per order (per country) and a fee per item (per bottle), although I appreciate that this is unlikely to be suitable for larger/heavier gift items.

A couple of unrelated points that I noted:

• Your 'added to cart/go to cart' message appears regardless of whether an item has been added to the cart. For example, if there is insufficient stock, it still appears (see screenshot below).
  • I'm surprised that this site sells alcohol and yet doesn't have an age popup.

I hope this helps. 

-Paul

added-to-cart-custom-message.thumb.png.913bb9c56cc875184957e4941185dd8d.png

"Added to cart" message beside "unable to add to cart" message

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @paul2009
Thanks for your reply. I will forward your comments about the policy and age verification (which is seen at checkout) on to the ecommerce manager to consider.

In regards to the shipping problem we're having, I'm afraid your explanation does not solve the problem. To answer your questions, the winery can ship within France only (so only 1 shipping rate for wines), they use a special wine-specific courrier who has provided shipping rates by quantity of bottles (which can be easily converted to use the weight system that SquareSpace uses), however the problem is that they also sell merchandise (tshirts, books, wine accessories, etc.) and gift packaging (gift bags, wooden wine crates, etc.). These items cannot be shipped by the same courrier and, of course, have highly varying weights. 

So the problem here is that a customer may purchase a bottle of wine and a gift bag to go with it plus a case of 6 wines and a book. Let's say for example that this all weighs 15lb together, which is also the weight of 15 individual bottles of wine. When SquareSpace adds up the total weight of all these items, the shipping amount that is shown is the cost for 15 bottles of wine, which is much more expensive than what is actually in the cart. Likewise, if someone orders 5 books and no wine, the weight would also equal 15lb but the shipping cost is completely different. 

The ultimate problem is that SquareSpace does not allow for shipping costs to be attributed to individual products, but instead it adds up the corresponding weights and goes and finds the total cost for that weight. And it would be impossible to account for every single possible combination of products that one might try to purchase. Do you have any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sandra & Paul. 

Following this topic as we are seeming to have the same issue. We make flatpack furniture and trying to figure out work-arounds when we can't assign specific shipping costs to certain products.  Our products are flat packed and each item has to be shipped individually but working around weight is going to be extremely tricky. 

Would love to have the integrated UPS system but thats seems to only be available in the US.  @paul2009 Any ideas how to re-create that from the UK?  Are there any third party integrations? Or a way to assign a fixed shipping rate (Domestic, EU and ROW) to each individual product option? 

Thanks, 

3 hours ago, LoziDesigns said:

Following this topic as we are seeming to have the same issue.

I've followed up on your other post about this topic.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...

We are also having the same issue. We ship BBQ rubs and when you package one botte it weighs less than 1 pound so the shipping information calculates for 1 pound. When a customer orders 2 bottles the shipping weight is still under a pound but square space calculates it as 2 pounds making the shipping double than it should be. Square space does not allow for variables where customers order multiple of each product. 

Archived