Cancel Shipping Option

I am offering services - though in building the site the services have been treated as if they are "products". This is, I have used a "products page" to display the services and they appear in Inventory as Products. My customers buy a service but they are NOT shipped. But shipping appears on the checkout page, and the checkout page insists that the customer choose a shipping option. Not only is there no shipping, also there is no shipping option even offered to choose from. The whole checkout procedure is stuck on this issue.

Is the error in the Stripe set-up?

Is the error in the commerce settings?

thanks for any ideas!

Jenny

• Replies 6
  • Views 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you add a product to a Squarespace website, you are prompted to select a "product type".

select-product-type.thumb.png.6db268bc6cabb304ef7f1ad27f3385d9.png

Did you correctly select "Service" for these products? If all products in the checkout are Service products, customers will not be prompted for a shipping address.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

31 minutes ago, JennyGoldsmith said:

My customers buy a service but they are NOT shipped. But shipping appears on the checkout page, and the checkout page insists that the customer choose a shipping option.

When you add products to a Squarespace website, you are prompted to select a "product type":

select-product-type.thumb.png.6db268bc6cabb304ef7f1ad27f3385d9.png

Did you correctly select "Service" for these products?

If all products in the checkout are Service products, customers will not be prompted for shipping details.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

17 minutes ago, JennyGoldsmith said:

you can never get rid of shipping option in checkout

Actually, that's only true for physical products 🙂. The Squarespace article needs to be corrected to make it clear that this refers to physical products. Even if the shipping cost is zero, there will be shipping, so the cost is itemised.

However, if the customer only adds service products to their cart, they will not be prompted to select a shipping option, provide a shipping address, or see an itemised line for the cost of shipping on the checkout page.

Here are two screenshots of the same checkout, one with a service product, and one with a physical product. As you'll see, section 2 is "Payment" on the first one, because there isn't a shipping section. 

checkout-service-product.thumb.png.171e60e3a8fd16ce503519daa9f8595a.pngcheckout-physical-product.thumb.png.df91ffcb3cc2e06b9910c15f490bac96.png

I haven't been able to check your site because you didn't provide a url, but if your checkout doesn't look like this, I recommend you contact Squarespace Customer Support for assistance.

I hope this helps.

-Paul

Thank you paul2009.  

Wow, okay.  We are just building the site, and have been doing the test runs for checkout. It's not up yet for viewing.

I did have physical products at one point, I chose Physical Products when choosing the page to add for these items. But we have cancelled out the physical products. And now only have the Services items. This may be the hitch.

I should go back to the products page and double check if it is actually a "services" selection. I don't know if I can still get back to that data on my choice, or is it gone forever.

I don't want to build the page again from scratch. I guess the next step would be to go to the link you supplied for Customer Support.

Thank you soooo much Paul,

great help!!

Jenny

Archived