7.1 Template inconsistencies and issues

I am building a site for a new podcast and chose a "starting point template" I thought looked great, but now I'm having issues with it that I've never experienced on 7.1 before.

When I try to create a new page and select a page template, it is not using the default White Minimal section theme. Instead, it is using "Black Minimal" and I can't even understand what a page template looks like. When the page is created, all the sections use the "Black Minimal" section theme.

I cannot seem to find a way to select a default section theme, which is something I could have sworn was in 7.1, but maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, I do not understand why it would default to "Black Minimal" and not let me change this. IT IS INFURIATING!

In order to get rid of this, I would have to create a new site and start from scratch, which I'm almost ready to do at this point, otherwise I'm going to start punching my couch pillows in rage.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I'm hoping to get this podcast launched next week.

Kevin

image.thumb.png.cc116b8676748debacf4691a86631266.pngimage.thumb.png.8202b4497839f9f6b443a246c5b64b37.png

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to make a difference with what theme you begin with. I began with Crosby (mostly dark grey), and even though I've changed everything to white I still have the Dark theme when I create new pages. It's most annoying with respect to pages that Squarespace creates (shopping cart, order confirmation pages etc). Not to mention my whole site has this dark grey background even when all the section backgrounds are white (most noticeable on mobiles when you scroll beyond the page limit)

My workaround was to identify the default theme (in my case Dark Minimal), then make sure I wasn't using this theme anywhere and then changed and matched every setting to White Minimal. This has corrected the problem. 

But it is pretty ridiculous that I had to do this. 

The colour management in Squarespace is absolutely terrible. I actually had to make a list on what section theme I applied and to what specific item. And that rubbish Color Palette functionality they probably spent ages developing? What is that? To use that you would have to trust how Squarespace are going to apply colours. And I don't. I cant even change a default theme colour. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank!!!

This still works! Brilliant workaround, but come on Squarespace, get this working on desktop again!

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

On 8/22/2020 at 7:40 AM, SergioC said:

UPDATE UPDATE!!

The Squarespace app still allows you to change the default theme.

Site Styles > Colours > Site Theme

Amazing.

PLUS ONE MILLION!

This is a life saver. I've been so annoyed building/editing my new site. I just had a long chat with support and every answer was basically a shoulder shrug. This answer here is why Circle is so great! Site fixed!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The thing to note with 7.1 that unlike the different template families in 7.0, 7.1 is in effect just one template with multiple starting points and as you have found out, those starting point options, fonts, color schemes, etc all exist in every one of those starting points. Sp you can make anyone look just like the other, once you find out where those change options are. Good for you folks here, you did find out. 

• 1 month later...

I can no longer change Default Color Theme in the App... I think its time to contact customer support about this issue. Default theme control the shopping cart and checkout in particular... also... clicking each time to change the default site theme... every time you want to make a new section... and a whole array of issues...

Archived