Different customer emails dependant on product purchased

Site URL: https://crimson-octahedron-ct3w.squarespace.com/

Working with a client who sells a variety of different beauty treatments, online consultations, and make up lessons. She has several pre consultation forms that she wants to include on customer emails after they have purchased. I have suggested that the email contains a link to a password protected page where they can fill in the form. 

However some products theres no need to fill in forms, so she doesn't want them to have the password etc. Is there a way that when user buys certain products they receive a order confirmation specific to that product? 

• Replies 7
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sophie

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to modify Squarespace Order Confirmation Emails in this way. 

The JSON variables available in Confirmation Emails are specific to the order, not to individual items that were ordered, and so it isn't possible to provide different information according to the specific product that was ordered. You can show information just for service products or just for physical products, but this is as granular as it gets.

I encourage you to reach out to Squarespace Customer Support to explain why these limitations are a problem for you, because this is how they manage feedback and feature requests.

Order Confirmation Emails were fantastic when Commerce was launched, but in my opinion, they are now overdue for an overhaul to make them fit for purpose in 2020. Currently:

• You cannot modify the email for individual products or even categories of products.
  • You cannot add product thumbnails to the emails.
  • You cannot change the wording of certain sections of the emails.
  • You cannot address the customer by their first name.

There are other ways to send product-specific emails, including custom third-party solutions and Squarespace Campaigns, but there are obviously additional costs for these.

-Paul

UPDATE: In October 2020, Squarespace launched new customer notifications and a vastly improved email composer. You can upgrade to this now, or your site will switch the new editor automatically on January 7th, 2021.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

35 minutes ago, sophie.elizabeth said:

Do you know if it's possible to automate product specific mailers from Squarespace marketing instead?

Yes, you can trigger an automated Squarespace Campaign so that it is sent after someone purchases a product on your site. However, note that if a customer unsubscribes from a commerce automation, they're unsubscribed from all commerce automations for your site and won't receive these emails.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...

Archived