Brine Tempate: Navigation and Scrolling Problem

Site URL: http://www.sublimelashstudio.com

I am not a website developer and have very limited knowledge of CSS or anything to do with websites. But, I can generally follow instructions and have managed to add a few custom CSS elements to my website. I'm having an issue that I know only some custom code can fix, but I don't know how to code and I'm hoping someone can help.

The current issue I am facing is outlined here in a post someone made in February: https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/156546-primary-nav-anchor-link-scrolling-problem/

Short story is that I have an index homepage and I wanted to add anchor links to navigate to the different sections.  I managed all of that and was enjoying the scrolling effects until I realized that if I navigate to another page on my site (not the index page) and attempt to click one of the navigation anchor links to bring me back to a section on the homepage, nothing happens.  Or, it navigates back to the top of the homepage, but does not scroll down to the appropriate section.

In the previous post, the suggestion was to create two separate sets of anchor links, one with /#section-name, and one with /home#section-name and then use custom code to have only one or the other display depending on where you are on the page.  I tried this with varying results, but none worked completely. None of my other pages were showing in the navigation at one point, only the anchor links.

I'm sure you can tell from my post that I am not super knowledgeable.  My website works just fine without the anchor links, but I really love that scrolling effect and want to make it work.  Please help.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using just /#anchor-name should work properly.

When you are on the home page, it will scroll to the anchor.

When you are not on the home page, it will go back to the homepage, at the anchor, but it wont scroll to it. It will just be at the correct location.

@rwp I wish it would work for me, but for some reason it doesn't  When I'm on a page that's not my homepage index, and I click on any of the nav links that anchor back to my homepage index, the url becomes "/page#section-name" which doesn't exist (page being the page that I'm currently on when I click the nav link).

It appears that unless my whole site is one big scrolling index page (which it isn't), using anchor links for navigation doesn't work well without code. 

But, maybe I'm explaining this wrong.  That's why I included the link to the other post because that person seemed more knowledgeable than I am, but was still stuck on how to make what I want to do work.

Hello!

I'm having the same issue. Anchor link works fine on my main page, but on any other page it doesn't seem to work. The page seems to load with the anchor link in the web address, but then doesn't advance/skip down to the correct section. I'm using a basic business account.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Virgolady11 said:

Yes, I have a business plan.  I'm able to use code injection etc.

I guess I still don't understand exactly what is going on, but I do want to help.

When you go to your website, your index page loads.

On that page you have "index-banner", "index-welcome", "index-faq" etc.

I am assuming those are the sections you want to link to.

Those sections are /#index-___________.

yoursite.com/home is a completely different page, with only 1 section.

If you are using folders on your page, you can try using the entire link for the anchor links, like this:

https://www.sublimelashstudio.com/#index-welcome

Though your page is loading as non-secure on my end, so that will mess up the link working properly, and my force a reload.

12 minutes ago, bhoran said:

Everyone I think I solved this issue! Disable Ajax loading. Now the link format "https:www.yoursite.com/indexslug/#sectionslug" will smoothly scroll if you're on the index page and if not, load the page already jumped down to that section. This is working for me in Brine.

That makes perfect sense. I use 7.1 mostly and forget about the headaches that Ajax can cause.

Archived