How Do I access my Image Library?

Go to solution Solved by Parker_SQSP,

Site URL: https://iolairenott.com

I cannot find a stand alone link to access the image library of my old artwork I have uploaded. I want to delete old  images and replace them with updated ones. The only way I can look at the stored images now is by creating a gallery and then adding new images. It doesn't let me access the old ones and permanently delete them. Does anyone know how to do this?

Edited by IolaireNott
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While it's not yet possible to upload or download multiple images at one time, you can add and delete images one at a time from the My Library tab in image search.

my-library-image-asset-management.thumb.png.9d1949b029d6a733473840375337f445.png

It's not perfect yet (it's a work in progress) but you'll find full details in the support article Reusing images, including the differences between Squarespace 7.0 and 7.1.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

7.0  and 7.1 The easiet thing to do is create a blank page in the unlinked section of your site. It doesn't have to be enabled. Create an image block on that page and then click add an image, select from library.  At that point you can select any image by checking the small white box up in the left corner. Delete or add (that puts the image in the image block) can be chosen. Its a bit primitive but images can now be deleted out of your library. 

• 2 months later...

Media management is a basic entitlement if you ask me, especually for a content upload platform, how SquareSpace is now at its seventh itteration with minimal changes to this relationship with its customer base is a mystery to me.

Even now in 2022 I must use a hack just to get access to the media manager, only to find the selection option applies to a single file at a time i.e. if I want to delete on mass (which is the only function that I can see the selection option is there for, hastily bolted on by their design team under pressure) I must do so one at a time. It would be quicker to delete apps from a smartphone pressing and holding down on each one for a few seconds.

Media management is a core feature that everybody needs to visit at some point, it needs to be fully featured and quick to manage. I would even like it to sync directly with a local folder so that changes could be perrformed even quicker, but I suspect that is a little much to ask.

However, it's a lacking feature.

I notice a message box explaining that if a graphic is deleted that it make break links on my site.

Why not have those links made known for a richer experience; giving the user a greater understanding of their past/forgotten actions.

It is not uncommon for site managers to enable crawlers to search for broken links, but this being media, on a tightly managed platform, would allow for more than that, with page previews and substitutions right from the media manager.

One positive aspect that I will state is the semi-hidden feature of being able to click anywhere on a image in list view to check the box. This is always a nice feature as it can be tricky and annoying to check a small box, so please do keep that UI feature.

I did as you advised, however, for the benefit of others I shall maintain the stream of improvement suggestions and perhaps others will add their own.

Public forums are a well known treasure trove of ideas and I cannot believe that Squarespace would reject them.

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

Hi all,

I wanted to share a quick update that you can now select/delete/upload multiple images at the same time from your site's library. I understand the inability to do this was a pain-point so I hope this improvement helps out. 

Here's some more information about removing images from your site's library: 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542377-Managing-and-reusing-images#toc-delete-images-from-my-library

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just ceate a blank page in the unlinked section of your site and add an image block to it,  then you have complete access to your image library. You can add an image or delete any of them from there. It's not as simple as one button access inside the config menu but once there you do have control over it. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 2 months later...

@derricksrandomviews - this is a great way to be able to access everything in the library.

My problem is that I didn't name all the images as I was going, or add alt text ... so now faced with having to re-upload them all, one by one.

I was able to do as you suggested - find the image, rename it & add alt text.  It saved OK on my test page, but didn't appear to save back to the library.  Anyway rookie error on my part - my lovely website builder had told me about naming images but I was so busy changing I thought "I'll do that later".  Bugger!! haha