How do I charge multiple taxes?

Site URL: https://www.heybabyhandmade.com/online

Is there a way to charge different tax rates for different items? We sell baby and children's items in Ontario, Canada, and some items are only subject to 5% tax while others are subject to the full 13% HST. As of right now, all items that I sell on the website must be charged the same tax rate, therefore, I cannot list my full inventory. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On 8/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, BrookeL said:

Is there a way to charge different tax rates for different items?

I appreciate how frustrating it is to discover this. Unfortunately there just isn’t a workaround using Squarespace Commerce features right now. The tax management simply can’t cope with this (and many other) situations yet.

In Squarespace you cannot set sales tax on a per-product basis. If that's something that you must have, Squarespace is not suitable for you. There are no workarounds that would allow you to do this whilst using the Squarespace Commerce features. If you need this feature, you may want to consider another platform, such as Shopify. An alternative is to embed Shopify Buy Buttons on Squarespace. This way you can keep the Squarespace site and design but use Shopify’s ecommerce features for the sales, shipping and tax management. If it helps, I wrote a guide about using Shopify with Squarespace. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 years later...

To say that this is frustrating is an understatement. It's not frustrating, it immediately disqualifies you from being used even by a tiny business that has products in more than one tax category. Applying different tax rates per different products is so extremely basic in all of the EU, my only conclusion is that you don't care about customers outside US and Canada. Seeing this being still a problem in 2023 is a testament to this. I really love all the website features you provide, but we simply cannot use square space without this, and will need to look elsewhere.

Consider all the other features available at your platform, this is extremely simple to implement from an engineering and design perspective, so I'm really curious what has stopped you from implementing this for 2.5 years.

@MFS to be clear, I don’t work for Squarespace.

Questions on this forum are answered by other Squarespace users. To pass your feedback to Squarespace, or make a feature request, please contact Squarespace Customer Care

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.