Moving Post from one blog to another on same site

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://cello-herring-fdt8.squarespace.com/

Password, if it asks: STOP

Working on a blog for a client in two languages. We want to separate the blog so that the English is on it's own blog and the Chinese is on a separate one but both are on the same website. Right now, both the English and Chinese are on one blog together. Is there anyway to transfer the posts to a new blog on the same site without just copying and pasting? There are a lot of tags and coding, etc. attached to each post, so we're trying to do this as efficiently as possible.

Edited by deannadenham
Edited for redundancies
  • Solution

If you've created a second Blog page, you can move items from one blog to the other as follows:

1. In the Home Menu, click Pages.
  2. In the Pages panel, select the page containing the content you're moving.
  3. Press and hold Shift and click the item or items you want to move.
  4. In the action bar at the bottom of the panel, click Move. The Move button only shows if you have at least one other pageof the same type.
  5. In the Select Destination Collection window, select the page where the content will go.
  6. Click Move Items. The select and move options might look different depending on the page type.

For more information see: Moving collection items between pages.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

I must second @deannadenhamhere, and submit a thanks to Paul for this answer. However motivates you to post on SQS, may it continue. This answer was extremely useful

Even applicable for blog post drafts! Just bring that shift button down and hold it, and mark the items you want to move around. Happy that SQS added a feature of logic and use (probably after 100 mio requests)

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 4:15 AM, paul2009 said:

If you've created a second Blog page, you can move items from one blog to the other as follows:

1. In the Home Menu, click Pages.
  2. In the Pages panel, select the page containing the content you're moving.
  3. Press and hold Shift and click the item or items you want to move.
  4. In the action bar at the bottom of the panel, click Move. The Move button only shows if you have at least one other page of the same type.
  5. In the Select Destination Collection window, select the page where the content will go.
  6. Click Move Items. The select and move options might look different depending on the page type.

For more information see: Moving collection items between pages.

Does this work on 7.1? I have multiple blog pages on my site. Is there a way to move a post from one blog to a different blog?

32 minutes ago, SarahPiano said:

Does this work on 7.1? I have multiple blog pages on my site. Is there a way to move a post from one blog to a different blog?

Yes. Instead of holding shift and clicking items, you can now check the checkbox(es) next to the posts you want to move.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am confused, because this does not seem to work for me....I must be reading/doing it incorrectly 🙂

Attached screenshot is what I see inside my blog, and if I click the check box next to a single post I get option to Delete but not move.

It's probably something I am doing wrong....but I can't see what that is!

Any help would be really appreciated...

FireShot Pro Webpage Screenshot #057 - 'Significant Ceremonial Days in the Balinese Calendar' - mandarin-grey-asef.squarespace.com.png

13 minutes ago, simon.stjohn said:

I am confused, because this does not seem to work for me....I must be reading/doing it incorrectly

Do you have a second blog page to move the blog post to?

If not I can see that SS would not present the option to move.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Hey Credon

34 minutes ago, creedon said:

Do you have a second blog page to move the blog post to?

If not I can see that SS would not present the option to move.

@creedon Thank you so much for seeing the obvious for me! I did not realise I had removed the second blog when I discovered this post and was trying to move.....doh!

So for anyone else, if it helps, create a second Blog on your site (not page...we mean actual second blog (How? from Pages, click + and choose Collections -> Blog and this will create a whole second blog on your site).

Then go to the first blog, select one or more posts by clicking the check box next to the post's name and down the bottom of the list of posts a menu will pop up with 'Move' as an option and you will be able to select to move the post(s) to the new, second blog you just created.

4 minutes ago, simon.stjohn said:

So for anyone else, if it helps, create a second Blog on your site (not page...we mean actual second blog

SS didn't help by naming their main unit of collecting a bunch of information together as a page.

ScreenShot2023-06-22at10_33_21PM.thumb.png.b2ca3f3af14c9e75391dce4ab867b00b.png

SS ended up muddling the concept of what the web knows as a web page and their dumbing down of web terminology.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.