How to URL Builder for Custom URLs? (Really need this!)

Site URL: http://mywellness4all.com

It would help me so much if someone can come up with an answer to solve this: I am trying to make a custom URL so I can track how many sales my influencers on Instagram get. But, how do you create a custom, trackable URL in Squarespace?

The way Squarespace has it set up, currently, you can only create URLs for ads on 7 platforms, or request another channel. And I don't want to select Instagram's platform because I need to track every individual influencer. We really need to be able to track dozens of custom URLs.

Does anyone know any way around this? I would like to do it through Squarespace instead of one of those referral/affiliate services. (Lower cost).

You would help me so much if someone can come up with an answer to solve this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You can't.... Not within Squarespace. You'd have to use an outside service, like bit.ly, or create your own.

Their support docs on url mapping states it plainly:

"Most URL redirects can't use ?, &, or # symbols, as these interfere with the redirect process. This may prevent you from redirecting to anchor links, category links, and some Index Pages. One exception is RSS feed URLs, which can contain the ? symbol."

You could buy a second domain, maybe the same domain with ".co" ending and use that in bit.ly. When you build the link in bit.ly you can add all the UTM codes for the redirect. And Bit.ly will track the number of times the redirect got used.

I really wish Squarespace would build this in. I think they won't because they have their own analytic & tracking suite.

Hi there.

Best way to do this I think would be to use Google Analytics for tracking and then use a UTM builder, https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/,  which will let you create the individual links.

Here's an example:
domain.com?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=january%20sale&utm_term=myinstagraminfluencer

I can see that SS will send conversion information, https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815608-Using-Google-Analytics-with-Squarespace#toc-conversion-tracking, with Google analytics and so you will still be able to see the sales being generated so long as you give an easy identifier.

Knowing Google Analytics, I would suggest that you use the influencer name as the "campaign=" identifier as it will make it easier to get detailed information.

To test, simply create a link and then go into REAL TIME VIEW in Google Analytics and click your tracking link to see how it collected the data. Google Analytics never shows today's data by default but if you change that date to today you can go to Acquisition / Campaigns and see the real-time information in that section of the report, to check it is how  you want it to be seen.

Good luck.

We provide digital marketing services for businesses that need exposure/sales from search and social media networks. We also build incredibly fast and well optimised multi-language Square Space websites.
Digital Marketing | Marketing Digitale

Archived