Instagram block not updating

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Site URL: https://www.mouthmedianetwork.com/

Our Instagram block has not pulled new images for a few weeks, despite new content being posted to the connected Instagram account.

Squarespace shows the account as still connected.

Also, separately, there does not appear to be a way to report this in the "Contact Us" system. How do you report a new issue? I couldn't find a way to actually write a message about a malfunctioning block.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.10.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.11.02 AM.png

We are having a similar issue with a current client's existing Squarespace website, and consequently a new website we are building for them in Squarespace. We believe it may be connected to the "single login" for multiple accounts feature being used on Instagram. Have you enabled this feature on your Instagram accounts?

When an Instagram feed isn't updating, you can check the connection between Squarespace and Instagram. Go to Settings on your site and then Connected Accounts. If you see a red message about reauthorization, you'll need to reauthorize the connection. Then go to the Instagram Block directly and check that connection matches. 

This was a known issue in 2020 but was fixed in early August 2020 when the code was updated to match Meta's latest API. Basically, it breaks each time Meta update their Instagram API that Squarespace use to pull the posts.

If you are still seeing missing posts, please go to your Connected Accounts in Settings and select "Reset Data." If this issue persists after doing this, please contact Squarespace Customer Care

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

I have multiple squarespace websites, each with a different Instagram account (some are multiple projects, some are different clients). Instagram now thinks that ALL of my sites are owned by ONE person. How do I go back to separate accounts for each client or project? If I add one person's insta account to his/her site, it should NOT change other websites! I'm so confused. HELP!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue! 

I've disconnected the account, reconnected and gave all the permissions needed... I had to do this a couples of times (always aware of the cache and cookies, even used the incognito window) and it finally worked. But shouldn't need to go through this hustle to make it work again. And now I'm afraid I have to check the site once in a while ensure it's still working...

Also, the block doesn't support Reels. Why not since it's part of the Instagram feed? At least on my Block it skipped the Reel I created. 😑

On 8/15/2020 at 10:09 PM, Lesley said:

I have multiple squarespace websites, each with a different Instagram account (some are multiple projects, some are different clients). Instagram now thinks that ALL of my sites are owned by ONE person. How do I go back to separate accounts for each client or project? If I add one person's insta account to his/her site, it should NOT change other websites! I'm so confused. HELP!

This is happening to me. I've just set up a new website for a different brand and separate Ig but I can't seem to have a simultaneous Ig connection on both sites to different Ig accounts. It's driving me nuts. Have you found a solution or had any support from Squarespace? 

I had to go back to each website, remove the IG link, set it up again. Log in to each brand's ig to set the connection, then log out. Then go to the next website and repeat. I think some code in SS or IG changed, and glitched up the connections. The critical thing is that EVERY time you have to log out of instagram (even though you don't think you're actually logged in -- you think you've just used a password to authorize the connection to SS). This required that I ask every brand/client for their login info again - which as you can imagine is a pain in the a**. 

• 1 month later...

I have been struggling to get my Instagram pictures to show on my site as nothing was showing up but I managed to get it working now. I clicked on the edit page button then scrolled to the Instagram block and clicked on the edit icon on that block, after that something will pop up saying what account has connected to the block or it may say it needs an account to connect to it. There should be a column saying choose account, select the account you want and it should synchronise and the posts should pop up. I hope this helps :) 

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, Lesley said:

I had to go back to each website, remove the IG link, set it up again. Log in to each brand's ig to set the connection, then log out. Then go to the next website and repeat. I think some code in SS or IG changed, and glitched up the connections. The critical thing is that EVERY time you have to log out of instagram (even though you don't think you're actually logged in -- you think you've just used a password to authorize the connection to SS). This required that I ask every brand/client for their login info again - which as you can imagine is a pain in the a**. 

Ugh. I'm having the same issue and also have multiple brands websites. 

On 12/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Jessc said:

I have been struggling to get my Instagram pictures to show on my site as nothing was showing up but I managed to get it working now. I clicked on the edit page button then scrolled to the Instagram block and clicked on the edit icon on that block, after that something will pop up saying what account has connected to the block or it may say it needs an account to connect to it. There should be a column saying choose account, select the account you want and it should synchronise and the posts should pop up. I hope this helps 🙂

This did not work for me. IG block is stuck on one post. I can't get it to update. 

UPDATE: After I made sure everything was reconnected, I hit the "Reset Data" button and it updated! 

Reset Data.png

Edited by AnaDavisDesign
  • 2 weeks later...

@ScottyP

Delete your instagram feed block and connected account and re-add them, then re-add the block to the page. This feed issue has happened to me numerous times over the last few years and each time this is the only way I've been able to fix it.

Edited by JPalm
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...