Team Directory Organization

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://wolf-panda-dnzy.squarespace.com/team

Hello! I am creating some pages for a client that requires a lot of blocks next to each other, in a specific order. In one case, it is a team page where each person is in their own block, arranged chronologically when they were here. If a new person needs to be added as the latest addition to the team, they should be the FIRST person now, but this means, moving EVERYONE over and re-creating all the blocks?

In the other scenario, I have a long list of blocks that are arranged in alpha order. If a new item needs to be inserted that has to be placed somewhere in between two existing blocks, how do I do that without again recreating the entire page following where that block gets inserted?

Am I missing a way to insert a new block and have all the blocks "move over"?

The site is pw protected and I can't give out the pw since it's a clients', but I am attaching screenshot. 

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.59.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.59.02 PM.png

• Solution
3 hours ago, mellovero said:

Am I missing a way to insert a new block and have all the blocks "move over"?

You’re not missing anything. However, rather than using individual blocks, it’s more efficient to use a ‘collection’. For example, use a Gallery Block for the team page. When you need to add a new member, you can drag them into the correct position within the gallery.  Another alternative is to create an unlinked (hidden) Gallery page or Blog page to contain the information. Then you can add a Summary Block to the visible page and link it to the information. These are much more flexible for up to 30 items. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 years later...

Hi!

I'm working on trying to organize a page for a client to make it easier for them to update themselves. They have a directory of people who are actively involved in their mission but are having issues adding new people to the page.

https://www.fierceallies.com/leaders

Right now the site is built on 7.0 and I'm open to building the update page on fluid or whatever you think would work best. When they want to add a new person to the directory, they want to put them in alphabetical order, but there's no way I've found to keep the columns organized as is. I'd like to keep it three across, but even with spacer blocks, it doesn't seem to work and to keep the square shape of the image.

Is there code that can keep the layout even when they add a new person to the page and drag them to where they belong in the alphabetical order?

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, superrad said:

I'm...trying to organize a page for a client to make it easier for them to update themselves. They have a directory of people who are actively involved in their mission but are having issues adding new people to the page.

Right now the site is built on 7.0 and I'm open to building the update page on fluid or whatever you think would work best.

You're actually using Squarespace 7.1 and I see that you've created this team page by adding individual Image Blocks and Text Blocks to the page. That's great when you initially build the page but, as you've found, it can make them difficult to update.

As you're on Squarespace 7.1, you can use an 'Auto Layout' section to create a team page instead. If you click Add Section and then click on the People category, you should see a number of different layouts, like this:

image.thumb.png.0c22923da14df451d19a7f610c516c87.png

The guide that I've linked above explains how to use these Auto Layout sections.

If you'd like something with unlimited capacity, you could use the method that I described in my earlier post above instead.

Let me know if you need further advice.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...