How to add borders around images

Go to solution Solved by tuanphan,

Hi lovely people! and @tuanphan

Is there a trick to getting image borders to work in fluid engine? I used the code provided in this thread, which works, but it only shows up on the top and bottom of the image. I also tried a few other codes but none of them put the border around the entire image without weird spacing or getting cut off. The image is set to fit, which is important.

URL: https://maroon-potato-2ta2.squarespace.com/

PW: Breathe:)

(you'll see there is a thin blue border around the image but this is from the actual image file. I'm trying to set up this border with code so that if the client updates the photo, it will still have a border)

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 14.31.09.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 14.29.50.png

20 hours ago, Chlobot said:

Hi lovely people! and @tuanphan

Is there a trick to getting image borders to work in fluid engine? I used the code provided in this thread, which works, but it only shows up on the top and bottom of the image. I also tried a few other codes but none of them put the border around the entire image without weird spacing or getting cut off. The image is set to fit, which is important.

URL: https://maroon-potato-2ta2.squarespace.com/

PW: Breathe:)

(you'll see there is a thin blue border around the image but this is from the actual image file. I'm trying to set up this border with code so that if the client updates the photo, it will still have a border)

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 14.31.09.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 14.29.50.png

Add this to Design > Custom CSS to make bottom/right border appear

/* img border */
.fluid-image-container.sqs-image-content {
    overflow: visible !important;
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Hey @tuanphan

Thanks! This did something but not exactly what I need. Now three of the sides appear, but not all, and sometimes there is a little space between the border and the image, depending on the screen size.

Here is the code I'm using 

.fluid-image-container.sqs-image-content {
    overflow: visible !important;
}
    img {
    border: 2px solid #f26522;
}

image.thumb.png.14efec20f84d455424faa200bbae8c9b.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 12.26.53.png

On 8/29/2022 at 5:39 AM, Chlobot said:

Is there a trick to getting image borders to work in fluid engine?

3 hours ago, ilseS said:

Im also having an issue with this

I don't have a specific solution but a possible answer to your questions. There is a trick. As you've noticed simply adding a border can often lead to cut off borders. When borders are added to many elements you may have to adjust the size of their containers.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Would someone please help me with this code.

I am trying to add borders to the two images shown in the screenshot.

I am using this CSS code:

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1664601242484_965707
img {
    border: 10px solid #FBECDC;
}

#block-b31fb1259ac759275ca2
img {
}

The website is:

https://snail-saxophone-k3pk.squarespace.com/awaken

For some reason, the border is not extending all the way around.

I would also prefer if the inside of the border corners had a border radius of 10px.

Kind regards,

Dan

1595790585_ScreenShot2022-10-06at1_21_55pm.thumb.png.cffb957c0980107ba794d8df6e674d42.png

1 hour ago, daniellofarrell said:

Hello,

Would someone please help me with this code.

I am trying to add borders to the two images shown in the screenshot.

I am using this CSS code:

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1664601242484_965707
img {
}

#block-b31fb1259ac759275ca2
img {
}

The website is:

https://snail-saxophone-k3pk.squarespace.com/awaken

For some reason, the border is not extending all the way around.

I would also prefer if the inside of the border corners had a border radius of 10px.

Kind regards,

Dan

1595790585_ScreenShot2022-10-06at1_21_55pm.thumb.png.cffb957c0980107ba794d8df6e674d42.png

Change your code to this

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1664601242484_965707 .sqs-image {
    border: 10px solid #fbecdc;
}

Or send to forum message

13 minutes ago, daniellofarrell said:

@tuanphan

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately your code didn't work seamlessly.

I applied it to both of the images and now the image on the right is protruding.

Would you please show me how to make it flush with the text block below the images?

Kind regards,

Dan

2125740940_ScreenShot2022-10-12at7_04_16pm.thumb.png.5d2ec530ea537319cadb65dac90c814f.pngI

You can remove the code, I will check it again

Or send to forum message

• Solution
20 hours ago, daniellofarrell said:

@tuanphan

Hi Tuanphan,

Thanks for you offer.

Yes please, I would like to include a cream border around the photo that is about 5px, and in line with the cream text box underneath it.

Cheers,

Dan

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 3.47.05 pm.png

Add to Design > Custom CSS

.fe-block-yui_3_17_2_1_1664601242484_965707 {
    border: 5px solid mintcream;
}

Or send to forum message

adding to this ...has anyone figured out how to create borders around image shapes in FE??
All of the old codes I used render a square border around the block, but not the image within the block, meaning if I have a round shape within an image block there is a square border ...

On 10/24/2022 at 4:20 PM, ilseS said:

adding to this ...has anyone figured out how to create borders around image shapes in FE??
All of the old codes I used render a square border around the block, but not the image within the block, meaning if I have a round shape within an image block there is a square border ...

If you share link to a page where you use image shapes, we can check easier

Or send to forum message

9 hours ago, tuanphan said:

If you share link to a page where you use image shapes, we can check easier

Thank you Tuan, it was more a general Fluid Engine code question, I was experimenting with image shapes in FE yesterday and couldn’t get old code to work for shapes, all leave a square frame around the shape.

9 hours ago, ilseS said:

I was experimenting with image shapes in FE yesterday and couldn’t get old code to work for shapes, all leave a square frame around the shape.

DOM elements are block based and the CSS border property address those blocks, so CSS border property can not do irregular shapes.

The shapes feature is achieved with SVG overlays. To add a border with custom code looks to be fairly tricky, if doable at all.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, creedon said:

DOM elements are block based and the CSS border property address those blocks, so CSS border property can not do irregular shapes.

The shapes feature is achieved with SVG overlays. To add a border with custom code looks to be fairly tricky, if doable at all.

Many thanks for the reply -this is unfortunate, but at least it’s not just a reflection of my coding ineptitude 😅

To add a border with custom code looks to be fairly tricky, if doable at all.

To expound a bit. I think SS itself could relatively easily achieve this effect.

Adding it after the fact, with custom code, would be tricky, if doable at all.

• 1 year later...

Hey y'all, I think I finally figured out the problem. This basic code works, but the image MUST BE SET TO FILL. It doesn't work with "Fit" or "Shape" options.

I needed rounded corners, so I added a border radius to both the block and the image. Note that you should subtract the stroke width from the image's border radius to keep the corners uniform.

//add a border to an image//
#block-id  {
	border: 2px solid black;
}

//add a border to an image and add curved edges//

#block-id  {
	border: 2px solid black;
	border-radius: 20px;
 	background: black;
  img {
    border-radius: 18px;
  }