Item specific shipping options

On 3/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, PMA said:

To everyone struggling with this incredibly problematic issue: what platform are you go to/did you switch to?

I just did my end of 2020 accounting and my losses are equivalent to the amount of money I lost because I under-calculated shipping costs. I would've broken even for the first time last year had it not been for this, so I'm ready to go.

Who does it better and does it integrate with Squarespace or do I need to move my whole site?

I just migrated my main shop to Shopify which handles this extremely well, but isn't as flexible for complex web page design. At this rate I will just move my second shop to Shopify soon.

Ughhh! So frustrating because I just added a bunch of Printful items to my shop and I ended up putting all the shipping weights/dimensions in manually so it would calculate the right amount of shipping...but since I also offer local pick up for customers near me, it puts that option on every order and if someone selects that when ordering any of the Printful print-on-demand items, it won't charge them shipping OR send the order to Printful to print it. What a pain in the ass! Squarespace, get it together and offer per-item shipping options NOW!

This has been a problem for me for close to 10 years.  It would take nothing to add in the "pricing and variants" tab a little box to specify the item has a custom shipping cost and then to specify that cost.  A first year programmer could add this in 5 minutes.  The Squarespace community has been complaining about this for years, clearly Squarespace doesn't care.

Just adding another comment to this thread because this issue is so frustrating. Ive just had to reconfigure all of my postage options because I want to sell Christmas cards which are a much lighter weight than my usual products so the postage is completely different. Don't even get me started on adding different TYPES of postage. 

This issue is so annoying and basic. Sort it out Squarespace.

2 minutes ago, naive_knitwear said:

This issue is so annoying and basic. Sort it out Squarespace.

Squarespace employees don't monitor this forum for feature requests or issues (see the guidelines - item 6).

To raise this issue with Squarespace open a feature request ticket through Squarespace Customer Care. The more they hear from customers who are affected by missing features, the easier it is for them to prioritise them.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Face it, Squarespace for some odd reason doesn't really care about the ecommerce side....so many limitations and workarounds you have to do.  Perhaps they don't have the capability to invest....losing market share to shopify??  After 5 years, I'm almost ready to do the switch.  Postage is a huge problem, more than ever, and no flexibility available on the build.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:29 PM, GDEE51 said:

Face it, Squarespace for some odd reason doesn't really care about the ecommerce side....so many limitations and workarounds you have to do.  Perhaps they don't have the capability to invest....losing market share to shopify??  After 5 years, I'm almost ready to do the switch.  Postage is a huge problem, more than ever, and no flexibility available on the build.

After 6 months with Squarespace, I feeling the limitations too and always continually have to find workarounds which are very not user friendly to the customer.

I agree, shipping is lacking, they only implement "pick up" recently and this feature should not be cause of the pandemic (from what i remember in their update video regarding the update), it should have been a feature from the start with no questions asked.

I understand that users (us) can implement "pick up" under delivery for $0.00 as a work-around before the pick-up option was officially implement by squarespace but this shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Edited by hasher22
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently moved to SQSP from big cartel and I'm shocked that this simple feature isn't available. Really? the most basic of shipping options is to set a flat rate per item. HOW is this not possible in a self proclaimed e-commerce platform? Is this their way of trying to force people to sign up for the top tier plan to get "advanced shipping"?

Edited by DDCTS

***A great way to do item specific shipping weights is to take advantage of the 'shipping rates based on weight' feature. Assign smaller items a lower weight that is attached to the lower shipping fee. Assign larger items a higher weight which will have the higher shipping rates. Hope that helps! But I agree, it would be great if squarespace could get it together.

@sydacthis works in practice, but breaks down pretty quickly once you have variety in where your products are shipped from/to. Squarespace could even work to improve this "hack" by not having the range be required to be zero to infinity. One of the main issues, is in not being able to hide cheaper shipping options. It turns into a maths mind mess with plenty of scope for errors. And just imagine the headache when there are changes to your shipping and distribution points.

Personally, I'm going to see how this goes, if sales are good, I'll seriously consider migrating to shopify

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem simple enough (granted, I am no "coder") but why not offer the option, when creating the inventory item, to CHOOSE a method/tier of shipping.
I sell products that range from "will fit in an envelope" to "Third party drop shipper charges varying rates based on value/weight".
I can't charge the same to ship a 1oz item as I do for the drop-shipping vendor to send a 3lb clothing item. It is a FAST turn-off to potential customers.
If I sell clothing from a third-party drop-ship vendor like Printful who charges $3.99 + $1.50 per item on most of their stuff and use their base shipping rate in the SquareSpace shipping tool and the a guitar pick I send from my shop (less than 1 oz), because I can't specify shipping options at the "item setup", a customer would buy a pick and end up spending $5.49 BUT if that same customer also ordered a Sherpa jacket they would only pay the "add item" charge from Printful but I would pay what I shipped my the guitar pick for though local post ($3.95) plus the Printful shipping of 9.99 + 4.00 (shipping charge for coat).
Doing the math, I will spend $17.94 shipping both items but the customer will only pay $3.95 for the base shipping cost plus $3.00 in "per item" fees, totaling $6.95 meaning I eat a loss of $9.99. That ends up costing me my entire profit margin .
Please create the option for "per-item" pricing!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

By simply adding these features, Squarespace can improve their seller retention rate and I won't have to look elsewhere to host my shop!

• Bulk Editing mode for products. 
  • Item-specific shipping option.
  • Improve UI for Mobile-friendly product gallery.
  • Fix buggy color palette generator in Designs and in Styles

I want to provide the best shopping experience and accurate shipping costs to my customers but sadly, Squarespace falls far behind it's competitors. It's 2022, make some magic happen will you?

+1  The fact that SQSP doesn't offer product-specific shipping is a HUGE miss. Clearly there are many customers that need this. From a development standpoint, it really shouldn't be that complicated to implement. 

In my case, I'm building a store that sells alcohol and is legally only allowed to ship to certain states. However, they also sell merch that they are allowed to ship to the entire nation. Because Squarespace doesn't offer the ability to link products to specific shipping options/restrictions, the company has to choose to either not sell merch (so the shipping can be restricted to certain states) or sell both merch/alcohol, but cancel any order where a customer tries to have alcohol shipped to an illegal state. Both options are awful and would be completely avoidable if Squarespace offered the ability to make shipping options product specific.

• 1 month later...

I have been running my E-commerce store on Squarespace for about 2 years now and I must say I love how user friendly it is when it comes to designing the site and navigating from different editing tools. 

That said, I am honestly facing some serious limitation from SQSP not offering product-specific shipping option. I run an online business that deals with live plant, and in my country it is not as easy as it seems to ship plants internationally, however we do retail planters and merchandises that are allowed to ship internationally. Due to the limitation of not being able to restrict certain products from shipping internationally, I either allow customers to purchase and have risk of them picking the international delivery option then refund their order later or giving up the idea of shipping our planters/merch internationally to avoid this problem as a whole. Both options are a huge limitation to my business and this would have been completely solved if SQSP consider building the function to make shipping options for individual products available for a commerce site. 

I do hope someone at Squarespace can review this limitation and create a function that allow Product-Specfic shipping option. I am a huge supporter and fan of Squarespace, it would be really unfortunate that I have to explore other e-commerce option due to this limitation.

Edited by Ivanw
  • 2 weeks later...

The lack of product specific shipping has been an issue here for years, going by the forums I've seen.
Shocking lack of basic functionality on Squarespace's part! on a paid service too!
Looking for alternatives, but in the meantime the only satisfactory work around for me personally is having an integrated third party shop (via Big Cartel). It looks and works seamlessly on the site as I have my own domain name for it too. It works with the squarespace basic plan. I can also change the template if I want instead of being stuck with the inbuilt squarespace one.
Not sure if this set up will work with Squarespace commerce plan Google Analytics? but my knowledge on that is pretty scant at present.

• 2 weeks later...

I can create different shipping options but none of them can be applied or excluded from products. What is the point of shipping options then?

I sell lots of different things with different shipping needs.

This is frankly unacceptable in 2022.

Edited by A000ooo
  • 1 month later...

I figured out assigning weights to assign item based pricing.  However, I can't add in a fixed lower cost for additional item on same order.  I can do this in flat rate but then some of my products would cost more to ship than purchase price.  Been working in Squarespace about 4 weeks now and this is a huge issue for me.  They really need more shipping options immediately!  Wondering if I chose wrong platform. 😞