7.1 change mobile store category to drop down?

Site URL: http://www.bighousecards.com

Trying to find a little code to change the 7.1 store mobile or both view to be a category dropdown vs. a scrolling list to the right or left.  The average person wouldn't know to scroll categories.  Took me a while to figure it out thinking my categories were not being displayed.  

Really appreciate any assistance as this is an annoying issue and I really don't want to change versions just for this. 

Thank you

Ryan

Screenshot_20200715-170147.png

10 hours ago, rwp said:

I tested this on another 7.1 site, and have it figured out, I just need the password to test on yours and then I can share.

I am having the same problem (one member emailed me), can you share the code? Thank you.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

19 hours ago, bbarinaga said:

Hello.

I'm having the same issue and would love to use a drop down for categories on mobile.

Can you help me with the code @tuanphan?

https://mistoa.squarespace.com/tienda

password: 1234

This is complex. @rwp has this code

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this.

If you are on 7.1, head to my webpage (link below).

Click the code pen link and the code is "Product Cat to Dropdown"

Follow the directions in my signature to set up the jquery scripts, and you can put the code in the shops page code injection. Let me know if it gives you any issues.

This isn't a turnkey solution usually, it takes some tweaking for each website. Special characters in the categories also need attention.

You will also need to use CSS to style the drop down, and locate it, as well as show/hide it, and the original menu, on desktop/mobile.

Edited by rwp
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, rwp said:

Sorry I missed this.

Follow the directions in my signature to set up the jquery scripts, and you can put the code in the shops page code injection. Let me know if it gives you any issues.

This isn't a turnkey solution usually, it takes some tweaking for each website. Special characters in the categories also need attention.

You will also need to use CSS to style the drop down, and locate it, as well as show/hide it, and the original menu, on desktop/mobile.

rwp,

First off, this is a MUST HAVE. The horizontal Cat scroll is a ux nightmare.

I tried exactly what you laid out. Tested on mobile. Unfortunately, no effect. 

- Added Jquery to global header
- Added your JS script to global header

To be clear, I am supposed to put the Jquery in the header code injection area, correct? And same with your script?

I made sure to add <script>and</script> tags

See attached screenshot to confirm.

Any further guidance would be very much appreciated.

007.png

@birdmade Apparently squarespace uses a few different layouts for the categories.

This one is more complex, with the items and sub items. Head to my codepen and check out "Product Cat to Dropdown Alternate".

This will only work with the parent categories and will ignore the sub items. Drop me an email if you would like me to dig into this deeper.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry I think I missed out whatever code was shared here. I have the same theme and issue as the threadstarter. I have more than 6 categories, the last few get hidden with the horizontal scrolling. I have added categories links under menu as a solution but visitors have to click on the hamburger menu icon. Is there a better way to display categories for mobile view?  @rwp @tuanphan if you're able to help please. Thank you.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:19 AM, Kkaarrllyy said:

Hi rwp

I would like to change this on my site too and have no idea how to do it, would you be able to help? 

https://www.purecandlesupplies.com.au/shop

Thanks

Karly

7 hours ago, xspxsp said:

Sorry I think I missed out whatever code was shared here. I have the same theme and issue as the threadstarter. I have more than 6 categories, the last few get hidden with the horizontal scrolling. I have added categories links under menu as a solution but visitors have to click on the hamburger menu icon. Is there a better way to display categories for mobile view?  @rwp @tuanphan if you're able to help please. Thank you.

Have you solved it yet?

Or send to forum message

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, rwp said:

Sorry I missed this.

Hi, what's the website where we are to get this code? I don’t see the link below.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:17 PM, sharine said:

Hi, what's the website where we are to get this code? I don’t see the link below.

He removed his signature. Not sure why ☘️

I access his code on jsfiddle, but it also says 404

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, Kkaarrllyy said:

I would like to change this on my site too and have no idea how to do it, would you be able to help? 

You can change the mobile product category slider into a centered list of categories by adding some CSS like this.

change-product-category-slide.gif.9ebb0ba5aace636ad3aabb1f2e580281.gif

I've posted the code here:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:01 AM, resonancemktg said:

Could someone please help me change the mobile store category to drop down as well? Happy to share URL and password privately.

Gratefully, Kelly

Hi. What is site url? We can help easier

Or send to forum message

• 9 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 10:32 AM, paul2009 said:

You can change the mobile product category slider into a centered list of categories by adding some CSS like this.

change-product-category-slide.gif.9ebb0ba5aace636ad3aabb1f2e580281.gif

I've posted the code here:

Any chance someone can help me with this as well?  I am not very good with web stuff and definitely need the drop down option.

www.moonandstone.com