Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
HKers

SOLVED: How to have CSS exceptions

Question

Posted (edited)

Site URL: http://www.wearehkers.com

Hello, I've injected a javascript and corresponding css to take active links black. I called the javascript selector .active-link and used the css code below:

.active-link {
  color: black !Important;
}

But there's one button in my header that I want to keep as an exception so that it doesn't go black when I'm on that page. I tried using the :not () code but it didn't seem to work. Does the :not () code work on squarespace? Below is what I've tried:

.active-link:not (.Header) {
}

OR

.active-link:not (.Header-inner-top) {
}

PS. This is on a template that is not live yet so my domain won't show what I'm talking about, here's a screenshot instead.

image.thumb.png.9d1d33b6b965a74f6446216e2e134b74.png

I don't want the subscribe button to go black as it is below

image.thumb.png.11b4e8f84fac9d18fcc47b9f4f976bb0.png

Edited by HKers

8 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
.active-link:not(.Header .active-link){

Give that a go

Edited by rwp

Free Squarespace 7.1 Anchor Link and Accordion Plugins available here!

If I replied to one of your questions with code, it was either CSS or jQuery.

To add CSS, go to Design -> Custom CSS

jQuery needs some additional steps. Head here: https://code.jquery.com/ and click on minified, under jQuery 3.x and copy that code into Squarespace.

After you put that code into the code injection section in Squarespace, you can add the code I supplied. The code from me will need <script> added before it and </script> added after it (only for jQuery).

There are two places that you can add the code, one is site wide (adds to all pages). Settings -> Advanced -> Code Injection

The other is for a specific page (adds to one page only). Pages -> Gear Icon next to the page -> Advanced

Posted (edited)
.active-link:not(#header .active-link){

Edited by rwp

jQuery needs some additional steps. Head here: https://code.jquery.com/ and click on minified, under jQuery 3.x and copy that code into Squarespace.

After you put that code into the code injection section in Squarespace, you can add the code I supplied. The code from me will need <script> added before it and </script> added after it (only for jQuery).

There are two places that you can add the code, one is site wide (adds to all pages). Settings -> Advanced -> Code Injection

The other is for a specific page (adds to one page only). Pages -> Gear Icon next to the page -> Advanced

2 hours ago, rwp said:

.active-link:not(#header .active-link){

doesn't work i'm afraid 😞

Can you make the button visible on your page so I can check it out please.

18 minutes ago, rwp said:

Can you make the button visible on your page so I can check it out please.

It's on a different template and my current template doesn't have navigation links or buttons in the header so I'm not sure how make it visible without changing my live website 😕

can you right click on the text of the button -> inspect element and post a screen shot?

10 hours ago, rwp said:

.active-link:not(.Header .active-link){

Give that a go

Oh great thank you!!! It works!!!