Why don't I have a design menu on my site?

Go to solution Solved by derricksrandomviews,

I'm trying to make design changes to my site but for some reason there is no "design" menu in my site editor. I am one of three contributors on the site, so could it be a permissions issue? I can't find anything about this online and I have tried doing a hard refresh of the page, opening it in a different browser, and using a different computer, all to no avail. I'm adding a screenshot of what my home menu looks like. Help? 

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.39.42 AM.png

• 2 years later...

I am also having the same issue, but I am the only one who has access to my site. This is frustrating. I've been looking for well over an hour to simply find this elusive 'design' button to change my template. Every tutorial I watch says "simply go the HOME menu and click on the DESIGN button", but my HOME menu does not have a DESIGN button. Please help! Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 8:43 PM, Ourinnercircles said:

I am also having the same issue, but I am the only one who has access to my site. I've been looking for well over an hour to simply find this elusive 'design' button to change my template.

The first thing to note is that Squarespace are rolling out some changes to streamline editor navigation, so some options may change. The options previously titled 'Pages' and 'Design' are now combined under the heading 'Website'. You’ll find the design settings in two new menu options called ‘Utilities’ and ‘Website Tools’ that are, for some strange reason, buried under your list of pages.

Secondly, you cannot change templates on a version 7.1 site as all 7.1 sites have the same features.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, melissaBOotfds said:

Same I can't find mine either. I had it a week ago in 7.1 then today when I went to add some code its nowhere to be found.

SS is moving things around.

What specific task are you trying to accomplish?

You can also try the forward slash key to search for what you want to change. If the search bar doesn't pop. Click the some dead space area of the left panel the try the / again.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MarieD said:

where is custom font upload which was on the bottom of the css?

On the top of the CSS 🙂

image.thumb.png.9a86a9ee66970968c48c765e9a9a8528.png

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi!

I've got the same problem with not being able to find the 'Design' menu anywhere. I tried all the solutions mentioned above but it's still nowhere to be found (I cannot see it under 'Website', and there's no design options under the 'Website Tools' menu either). I'm the owner of the site and thus should have all the access necessary to access all the menus. 

I've attached screenshots of how the menus look like to me.

I'd appreciate any help so much, I've been looking for the design settings for well over an hour and feel so blind 😆

Thanks!

Näyttökuva 2023-8-25 kello 23.33.48.png

Näyttökuva 2023-8-25 kello 23.35.23.png

Näyttökuva 2023-8-25 kello 23.34.04.png

On 8/25/2023 at 9:43 PM, puksipuu said:

I've got the same problem with not being able to find the 'Design' menu anywhere.

On Squarespace v7.1 there is no longer a navigation option called 'Design'.

Squarespace have been making a series of changes to the backend navigation, moving and renaming options. You'll now find the settings on other menus. Which setting are you looking for?

Edited by paul2009

I was trying to find a way to change the background colour of the website, as well as add buttons on the site. Also, is there a way to add a logo in the site header and still keep the site title? Right now it seems that the logo just replaces the title. And is it possible to move the logo within the header instead of it just being in the middle?

Thanks 😁

5 minutes ago, puksipuu said:

I was trying to find a way to change the background colour of the website

Colours can be set in the Styles panel. You can reach this by clicking the paintbrush icon above the site preview.

6 minutes ago, puksipuu said:

is there a way to add a logo in the site header and still keep the site title?

If you add a site logo it will replace the title. You may want to consider adding the text to the image file before uploading it.

7 minutes ago, puksipuu said:

is it possible to move the logo within the header instead of it just being in the middle?

Yes. See this video:

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Adding another voice in the choir of pain at squarespace continuous redesign that makes all prior help posts useless.

I'm trying to change the image that gets sent when I send the link to the home page (blog).  By default it's the image of the latest post.  I'm trying to have it be a fixed image.  It sounds like setting the image in settings > social sharing (or in blog > settings > social image) should do it.  Yet I've set the image and minutes later the behavior is still the same (sends image of the latest post).

😭 😭 😭

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 9:29 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

Access to the Custom CSS panel in 7.1 is now located in the Pages panel at the bottom in Utilities/Website Tools

That doesn't help. I completed my entire website but wanted to now change the design to see if it would look better with another layout. There is no way to change the style of your site once you select a style initially? Don't tell me that I can find it under the Website Tools because it isn't there. It isn't anywhere. Not happy.

8 hours ago, LaneRae said:

There is no way to change the style of your site once you select a style initially?

It sounds like you are using v7.1 and it doesn't have the template switching feature like v7.0 sites have. All v7.1 sites use the same template and what are called templates in v7.1 are really just a collections of colors, fonts, and a few bits and bobs. Any v7.1 site can be made to look like any other v7.1 if one changes the colors and settings appropriately.

There is no way to change the style of your site once you select a style initially? Don't tell me that I can find it under the Website Tools because it isn't there. It isn't anywhere.

This is true as v7.0 and v7.1 have different features and editor menu layouts.

When you are reading instructions on the internet for SS features you need to be aware of it the instructions you are reading are for the version you are using. Some of them may not indicate because the version you are using didn't exist at the time the instructions were written.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.